Learning AD for exam

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Angry Dog, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Hi,

How long would it take (ball park) for someone who hasn't had much exposure to AD to learn it to be able to take the exam?

Thanks

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I would say 60-80 hours of solid work, but it's almost impossible to say, as different people learn at different rates, and it depends what you need to learn and what you already know.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

How much string do I need to wrap this parcel up??

Being a tad more fair now, as Ade says it really depends not only on your current knowledge but also your ability to learn. I am sure there are people who can pick this subject up in a couple of days study (I am talking 8+ hours a day) with hands on lab work but there are also people who could spend 100's of hours reading and with hands on who just don't 'get it'.

Mileage will vary on everything there is to learn and asking how much time it would take type questions are in the most part way too open ended.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Lots of hands on practice, reading and dedication.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

May I be rude and reply by asking the question of "Why are you planning on sitting an exam for a subject (MS Technology) that you have no or little experience in?"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Thanks for replies.

I'm taking the exam as I have been advised to do so, but also because I am getting more experience in a working environment of AD, but want to know, understand etc more of what it is I am doing. We use AD. A fair bit here, but as I am still new to the company my exposure is more limited than those of the people who are more established.

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+