Learn MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by c9kay, Jul 5, 2007.

1. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Hi there, I'm looking to start studying for the two MCDST exams and was just looking to see what everyone thinks is the best method:
    -Is it best to buy the books independently and learn at home? If so, what books?
    -Is it best to find a college or centre that teaches it?
    -Is it best to learn using a company like Advent who mostly just send you out study manuals?

Thanks in advance for your help - I'm pretty new to all this stuff

Chris

WIP: HND Technical Support, MCDST
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'll be the first - its purely down to you. Only you know your own learning methods.
    - independent - are you self-disciplined? Can you research problems well? Do you have the time?
    - college - do you learn better in a taught environment?
    - training company - I'd have thought better than a college, but do you have the money? Can your life work around any restrictions they impose? Do they simply stop at MCDST? Or make you do MCSA and beyond?

All of which depend on your experience? Do you have a lot of hands on deskside support? If so, self study may be more efficient, if not do you have time to volunteer to help your learning?

Every way has pros and cons, read through the posts (not just the MCDST area but all of them) and you'll get a feel for what everybody thinks.

Personally, I like self study, but then I need a flexible schedule and am quite self-discipline. I don't have the money to burn on a training course and feel I can do a better job at teaching me what I need to know rather than what they want me to know.

Unfortunately, only you know the answer to these questions.

Good luck though - and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... everyone learns differently. I use self-study because it works better for me than classroom learning... and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Cool, cheers for the quick reply guys.

I think I'll go the self-study option. What books would you recommend?

5. BosonMichael

For MS exams, I recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex. That said, I haven't used them personally for these two exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Cool, thanks again.

I've just ordered these from amazon:
    -MCDST: Self-paced Training Kit: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System.
    -MCDST Self Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Windows.

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good shout on those books - exactly the ones I've got. I also went for the sybex and exam cram books also - heard different things that not every book has entirely what you need..... but the books you've got alone is a good couple of months reading :-)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Cool, I'll crack ahead with these books and see how I go.

I was worried as I heard that the MCDST is changing to incorporate the Vista software, is this true?

Also when will that happen as I'm not wanting to study then realise that the exam has changed just before I sit it?

9. BosonMichael

No... the MCDST covers XP. The exams that cover Vista are for MCTS and MCITP certifications.

10. c9kay

c9kay Bit Poster

Quality, that's a relief :D