Learn How to Learn

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Mar 3, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Learn How to Learn

Another article in a series targeted at learning tech. -Trip

The human brain is an amazing thing. This three-pound organ—more than 75 percent of which is water—can process more information than even the most advanced computer. (At least for now: That could very easily change soon.) It continually modifies itself throughout a person’s life, as neural networks rearrange according to experiences with new external stimuli. And when it comes to these encounters, more is better. They drive the development of the brain, as reorganization causes the number of brain cells to grow, as well as communicate with each other with greater frequency and complexity through a chemical neurotransmitter called acetylcholine (the “car”) and nerve fibers known as dendrites (the “highways”). This phenomenon is referred to in neuroscience circles as plasticity, which relates directly to the twin pillars of learning—cognition and memory.

Read the entire article Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      A somewhat strange, but interesting read Trip! 8)
    2. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      I know. It could have been distilled down to three main points:

• a. Learn something new all the time.
      • b. Reduce stress.
      • c. Learn information in bite-sized bits.
    3. juice142
      juice142
      And for those of you who are really nuts try:

Eysinck, M.W. & Keane, M.T. (2001). Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook. Hove: Psychology Press.

And when that's done you in try:

Banich, M.T. (1997). Neuropsychology: The Neural Bases of Mental Function. New York: Houghton Mifflin Co.

Of course you might like to do a little research first to prepare you for this complete whackiness in which case I'll suggest:

Hayes, N. (1994 etc, etc). Foundations of Psychology: An Introductory Text. New York: Routledge.

Stick to Meyers is my advice. :rolleyes:
    4. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      LOL - I totally agree :blink
    5. Tegal
      Tegal
      Even though a computer may be able to out-process a human brain, I bet it still won't be 3lb and 75% water!!

(Will that be Windows or Mac handling all that info?)

Tegal
    6. Boycie
      Boycie
      Good link Trip :thumbleft.
      I see it doesn't mention having a gallon of beer on the weekend :morebeer :biggrin