Learn Direct

Discussion in 'A+' started by Vapor, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Hi..
    I was mooching around on the net last night and found out Learn Direct are doing the A+ course for £50, it looks quite good to me. Has anyone enrolled in this course..Here's the link

http://www1.learndirect-business.com/computers-and-software/comptia-a-essentials-220-601/

2. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Looks like they are simply trying to undervalue this course,and making it almost worthless,£50 and 24 hours study and you are ready to take exams and repair pcs is a joke really.

Some of us have put a huge amount of effort into the A+,i'm not saying it is a hard exam,but a wider knowledge of pcs than what 24 hours will give is required i think.

The a+ is supposed to be a beginners course where you can spend a couple of hundreds hours on study if need be,to get to know and understand the subjects.

There are 16 chapters in the A+ ,some of which could take you many hours just by themselves.

The only person this £50 course would be usefull for is those with a few years knowledge and experience already behind them,who just need to brush up on their knowledge to sit the exam.

This course would be no use to a beginner.

People have asked on here before can the A+ be done in a one week 40 hour course,if you are a beginner i'd stil say no chance,if you have years of experience or knowledge already, then yes.

They have actualy broken the courses into 601/602/603/604 and are charging £50 for each.

If you know all of 601 properly you don't actually need to bother about everything else.I did no study at all for the 604 as i knew it wasn't required,the 601 contains all the information you need to pass the 602/603/604.

It says to me the teaching is inadequate for the 601 and they actually need to offer a 602/603 and 604 course to get you through an exam.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

It does say:

So it's not expecting someone with no knowledge to go in and be able to pass after that course....it also says it is for the "A+ essentials" rather than for the full cert.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

If they were doing it properly that alone would be enough to pass every exam.You don't need 4 courses for the A+ the 601 should be taught properly,there is no need for course 602/603 and 604.

What i am saying is you'd need to be very experienced to be taking that course by itself,and 20+ hours is not going to turn you into a pc repair person.

I'm just glad i did a microsoft exam as well as the A+ ,as the A+ is becoming quite worthless now.

The uk is going to be filled with cowboy repair men charging £5 an hour saying yes,but i've got the A+ .

5. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Thanks for the reply..

I'm currently reading the Mike Myers AIO book. I'm slightly struggling with the hardware section of the book especially the Historical/Conceptual parts at the beginning of certain chapters..Perhaps I'm reading to much into it. For £50 I may sign up to it just to brush up on some stuff..

6. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

never mind

the course is probably going to be useless anyway

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

No,it's a proper site,learn direct are very well established in the uk,i believe they have direct government links.

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's all pretty basic stuff, just google it and then pay me £50 for the suggestion. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

It isn't a fake site. We use learndirect business at my office for people wishing to sit the ECDL course. All courses bought online go via that address (for business anyway)

Learndirects online course for ECDL is actually quite good and the staff here seem to like it. I assume the 24hours duration is just the length of time it takes to run through the software without pauses/taking notes etc. Still, I wouldn't want to spend £50 on it without being able to see a sample.

EDIT: Grr, your edit now makes my post look a bit random :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Sorry about that i did it straight after i posted.....

It was just the link sounded odd

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  11. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

i am quite worried!

i enquired to learn direct if they provide technical IT qualifications they told me "no" several months ago, looking to far cheaper training provider. Despite the stupid fact hat learn direct-business & learn direct have got the same contact details!

Any way now i am lumbered with Skillstrain.co.uk, with massive 3 year payment plans! And after reading your content in regards to the course syllabus got me even more worried!

skillstrain.co.uk

only provides for the following syllabus forA+:

Essentials-part A
    Essentials-Part B
    220-602-Part A
    220-602 -Part B

This A+ qualification that they are providing is it anything useful?

here is the link for full course sylabus details:

http://www.skillstrainuk.com/pc-engineer-syllabus.html

WIP: A+ N+
  12. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

the examination is still done independently through CompTIA examiners.... its just study text their,DVDs, CDs

13. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Christ mate. I despair. Why do you need a training provider for A+!

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  14. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Don't you have the option of college 1 night a week?That would cost you near £300-

What would you say your skill levels are at the moment?

The £50 course just looks a bit too simplistic to me,it's not long enough to actually understand the subjects or the material.

15. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

@ the time i preferred home learning, preferably supported, from there i was just planning buying the study/books and doing it independently

16. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

To be honest you would have been much better off at college,in another post you said you can't remember at times what you have read.

I'm in the same position,but college worked very well for me.

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So you have to do some course but you have to pay for the exams yourself and your doing it through a tp incase you get stuck?

You can ask on here for help and you can get the books yourself and its free, well minus £20 for the book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rubbish. Just because people charge less for the training doesn't mean the certification itself is worthless. You don't even NEED a training course! By your logic, the A+ should be worthless just because someone can get A+ certified by studying Mike Meyers A+ AIO, which costs FAR less than £50!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I bet the A+ is around longer than some Microsoft certs since its a begginer cert.

Anyone who says the A+ is obsolete can't have the foresight to see that it actually prepares you for other certs since its a gentle introduction to how certs work.

remember how school prepares you for college/university the A+ prepares you for your journey into certdom :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

The problem is the time spent,to believe in 24 hours a person will have all the knowledge required to tackle most pc problems is giving them false hope,and churning out people who don't know what they are doing,the money is also a factor.

I realise the books are cheap,but people are devoting huge amounts of time to studying via a book,there is the difference.You can see it every week on this forum ,people are taking the subjects seriously, and putting in the effort to learn it all.They may have just a book but they are reading every word of the 1000 pages,or however many page it is.

I stand by saying this certification is becoming more worthless by the day, because of the new people that are being given the qualification for no real effort.

24 hours does not create an all round repair person.

I say the same about other trades where you can learn it in 5 minutes,if a painter and decorator could qualify in 5 days that would be just as laughable really.And decorators would be earning minimum wage if the same circumstances occured in their trade.

Instead they can charge a professional hourly rate because they have served their time and put in the effort.

Over here you are supposed to spend 5 years learning a trade,it used to be 7 years.