LDIFDE & CSDVE

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Modey, May 25, 2006.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It would appear that there may be questions on the 70-290 that refer to both LDIFDE & CSDVE. Having read the descriptions of each command on Technet, they seem to me to have an overlap of functionality.

Has anyone used these tools in practice? I can't say I have ever felt the need for them and I have been administering 2003 servers for for a while now.

Any thoughts on best practice and when to use one as opposed to the other would be appreciated.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, i think the difference is rather obvious. you use csvde when you prefer or have to work with csv files, and you use ldifde when you prefer or have to work with ldif files. other than that, the functionality is pretty much the same.

i haven't used them to import objects into active directory (at least not in a production environment, i have in a test environment), but i use them often when i need to do a quick and dirty export of a certain ldap query. if you run an ldap query in aduc (active directory users and computers) you only get a list of the objects that comply to the query specifics, not of the data itself. csvde/ldifde will spit out the data exactly the way you want it to. of course there are many tools that render the same result, and maybe even do it more efficiently and neatly, but i just got used to csvde/ldifde.

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the info D.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

just as some extra reference that i used.. LDIFDE and CSVDE

my advice is learn how to use them. I mainly used the info in MS press book and im glad i did! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Nice straight forward explanations of LDIFDE & CSVDE on those links Zimbo thanks.