LCD TV's

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Tyler D, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Just ordered me a nice new Sony Bravia 32" V series TV.
    Also to go along with it a sony amp and speakers for 5.1 surround sound and a DVD recorder. :biggrin

I'm a very happy boy.
    Just need to work out how to connect it all now:blink

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

You will be very happy shortly.

I got myself or ourself a SONY XBR 40" LCD TV last December with a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder. We are very happy with the purchase. The only thing we did not purchase was a brand new speakers system.

Wife does not like floor standing speakers!

Enjoy!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have 5 Bose speakers mounted on the ceiling, they look pretty cool IMHO. Also a Bose sub woofer hidden behind the TV cabinet so all looks neat for wifey. More importantly they sound unbelievably good.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

kinda going off topic, when i first got the surround, i decided to watch a pr0n, just to see how it sounded like, well it was kinda wierd, but after i watched like 5 mins of it, i hear a door bell rings...

i thought shite, the neighbour is gonna swear at me, when i answered the door, instead of swearing at me, he wanted to borrow it! :blink

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What are you like :blink :twisted:

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I hope that doesn't happen to me, I've got a Police Station next door! :D Anyway, if we're playing who's got a big TV, I took delivery of a 50 inch Samsung this week, hells bells is it good. I'll probably be shot down by someone for saying this, but if I'm watching a DVD or a good quality digital channel (not compress everything as much as we can ITV) I really don't see the need for HD, and yes I've seen HD in action.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

i got to agree with baba on this one, My Xbox 360 is on a 43" none HD TV and looks great. My Friends is on a 43" 1080I HD TV and looks the same as mine and he paid alot of money for his TV.

I am not saying HD is rubbish because HD DVD's are awesome :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  8. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

What model of Bose speakers system you have?

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I bought them 5 years ago so the model number has changed but they look exactly like these babies also the ceiling mounting kit looks the same.

10. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Yes, I know about that model.

We start looking at a CineMate Digital Theater Speaker system, Acoustimass 16 Home Entertainment, LifeStyle 28 Home Entertainment, and finally 3.2.1 GSX DVD.

Oh, well, at this particular time, she likes the CineMate.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

All very nice, you can't go wrong with Bose IMHO, they have always been able to create a big sound from small speaker enclosures. A trick which is not easily accomplished. 8)

12. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ahem... until you crank it up:twisted: Although they sound great, they don't compare to a full-range full-sized speaker. Simple physics is in play here. However, if you have no other frame of reference, and they sound great in your particular room, then that's money8) Just my opinion, but I'm tired of inferior products from companies sitting on laurels earned years ago.

Besides, most often, speakers are unfairly judged for the wrong reasons; too many systems sport unclean power through cheap amplifier circuits. Doesn't matter how great your speakers are -- the entire system is only as good as it's weakest link. Now, don't anyone get all worked up and spout untruths about $$$ cabling from companies like Monster :rolleyes: Let's be reasonable about the weak links, shall we?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True but they sound far better than one would believe by looking at them. I have been an audiophile for years and played in various bands for 20 years, where speakers and amplification are as important as talent and style. I still own a Quad 303 amp (which was good enough for Pink Floyd to use in their studio) and KEF speakers which I have had for over 30 years. However, the reason for me mentioning the Bose speakers which are only for listening to the TV and DVDs is that they can pack a sound even when cranked up to the deafening scale that will impress even the most critical ear - honest guv!

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah nostalgia! Quad 303 and KEFs!

I always wanted a 303, but never managed to get the readies together. However, I inherited my Dad's KEF Concertos and totaly love them. The only units I might have replaced them with was the later KEF 104.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Right......

I have a 42" Plasma TV for everyday viewing, when it comes to watching films I have an LCD projector that cost me a small fortune, I also splashed out on an electric Projector screen that is triggered when the projector is turned on and lowers infront of the Plasma it measures 88" pure viewing pleasure. I also have a 5.1 surround sound system, nothing flash or expensive (all the money got spent on the projector) but it does the trick. :D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  16. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Point made, Bluerinse, and agreed. I used to love BOSE, and have had 301's and 901's -- they do pack a punch for their size. Perhaps I've overstated my disdain for BOSE, they make great products (except for the absurdly priced WaveRadio), but continually overcharge for their wares. They *are* the audio realms' Apple.

After spending years reading, and more importantly listening, I have a hard time dissecting the crap that stores like Myer-Emco try to sell you. Everything's a brand name. Problem is, the best products, and essentially the best value, comes in the no-name company by word of mouth (or even snobby audio forums :rolleyes: ). Years ago, in the low to mid-priced speaker market ($500-1500), it was all the usual big names .... but the best value at that time was the Dahlquist DQ series. Fabulous speakers, at a reasonable price.

There are a few gems today too -- the Insignia NS-B2111, a bookshelf speaker at Best Buy, has garnered the attention of audiophiles in Audio Asylum and AVSForum. The catch? They're about 50 bones ($35 on sale).... for both! What??!? Bah! Seriously... they trounce any other bookshelf speaker, and some floorstanders, at 20x the price. Toss in a decent crossover upgrade ($100!), and bump the 20x up to 40x. I was gonna link all this stuff, but I'm too lazy. Besides, it'll all be revealed through Google :)

In my 3.6 decades of life, it's no longer about getting the best names and fanciest stuff. After 20+ years of playing guitar, my ears are shot anyways :blink I have an elevated sense of performance (think Marantz and Macintosh of old), and a nose for value. It's permeated every aspect of my life. For example, I still maintain that whatever retail software can do, there's an equivalent in freeware.

HONESTY NOTE: I'll admit I was a bit of a troll, trying to get someone to bite on the Monster bit. I have a bone to pick with cable companies charging WAAAYYY too much for cables. Unfortunately, I fall for the cool colors and slick packaging, and thus, I've got a few cables and components bearing their name :oops: Why does it have to look so cool? 8)

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL nice post as always fortch! And there was I thinking that Bang & Olufsen held that particular crown :twisted:

18. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Well... I never considered Apple or Bose high-end equipment. Where B&O is decent hardware and *style*, it's definitely in the high end camp, if only because of price. Some might argue that Apple *is* high end, but anyone that says that has never priced audio equipment before :blink

I met an honest salesman (eons ago) at Myer Emco once (really!), and he had a listening room full of mid-high level (1500+ each) floorstanding speakers, and the Dahlquist DQ-20's. He cranked it up, and went through the whole dynamic range, in various formats, cycling from speaker to speaker. The DQ's were equal or superior to anything in that room --- at a quarter of the price, at least. He explained, in a lengthy 3-hour session, all the nuances of audio, and the misconceptions of many manufacturers. From then on, I've shed the scales from my eyes concerning brand names and the prices they require to experience them. If it's truly a great product, at a reasonable price (at the time), and I have a need (well....), then I'll bite, regardless of name. Rarely do the big names offer that kind of value anymore :rolleyes:

Sorry for the threadjack!

I've got a Sony KDF42A10 42" RPLCD (LOL, brand name! Always a good TV, though). Since my room is not deep, my viewing distance is only 8 feet, so any larger and the Screen Door Effect (SDE) kicks in. I tried the DLP's, but my eyes see the Rainbow Effect (RBE) very clearly, and it gives me headaches. Some poeple don't see it at all! Yikes, what are they, blind? :eek: I've also test-driven several projectors (I've got a Dell 2200MP), but the room is just not the proper dimensions for it -- next house, I'll shop for a REAL HT projector.