Laws/Rules

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 4, 2007.

1. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

And I can reply to them in any way I want that doesn't break forum rules, including pointing out that to me some of them don't seem entirely above board. This is a technical forum, and while this is the 'off topic' section, I'm not sure that includes people having an agenda to use that facility for missionary work. Does it count as advertising or SPAM? Maybe the mods need to have a look.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hint, Hint...

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Lets not get mental again people :)

But with the intruders in house thing, in the UK if a burgler came in your house when you are asleep and he is a the top of the stairs and you push him down and he breaks his leg then the housholder will be arrested and charged with unlawful wounding.

In some places in the US you can have a sign saying intruders will be shot, why can't we over here?

Reasonable force is what its called in the UK and it involves putting the intruder in a half nelson and pushing him out the door, any more force than that can get you done for assault.

Which is totally wrong

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. greenbrucelee

I would get one of those but the UK law on guns is different to the US, we can't just go to local super market and come out with a large machine gun I wouild have several if I could.

But being a former martial artist I do own a couple of Katana swords, nunchakus and a pair of sais.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, it seems that the UK is turning into a lets support criminals and punish those that stand up for themselves. Ever since the UK adopted the "Human Rights" laws, criminals have been taking advantage of them. While in theory it's a wonderful thing to have, but because we're all human (and it's is a group of people governing the law) it's crap. I don't have a police man/woman standing out side my house 24 hours a day like the politicians that make the law do.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Kitkatninja

Same here, except I don't own nunchakus instead I have a Bo :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

An ASBO?

To be fair, there has been some recent reports in the press that the authorities are trying to give homeowners more 'rights' to defend their homes from intruders.

It sounds weird typing that - we don't have the right to defend our homes...

Anyway, it won't amount to an Uzi, but it's a start.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not a very good idea to "call out" one of the staff members here. The one who created the thread is a CF admin. Thus, "the mods" have already "had a look". If they had a problem with it, it would have been deleted already.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael

Back about 12 years ago, I had a girlfriend who lived with me. Well, one night I came home early, and she wasn't there. She eventually came home... dressed to the nines... and with another guy. The moment he set foot into my apartment, I drove him away at swordpoint. Nothing fancy... just a replica sword. But I'm quite sure it wouldn't have felt pleasant to be skewered. :duel

Needless to say, the relationship ended right then and there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. greenbrucelee

I would be very wary using one of my swords as its so sharp all you need to do is slightly touch the blade and you'll bleed.

Apparently the metal in the blade is folded about 400 hundred times, it is also very valuable so I wouldn't want to stain it.

The other one is sharpe but not as sharpe as the other one.

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's illegal for a private citizen to own a fully automatic firearm in the US (although kits exist that will let you turn your semi-automatic into a full automatic in no time at all). Also, there's a background check that must be run so it's not like you can walk out of the store with a "machine gun".

The City of San Francisco has made it illegal for any private citizen to own a handgun at all. I think this is wrong because that means the only people who have handguns are the police and criminals. Frankly, I want the choice to have a handgun in my home to defend myself and my family if necessary.

The City of Kuna (in Idaho) tried to pass an ordinance that made it *mandatory* that each household have a handgun. Even in pro-gun Idaho, that didn't fly, but this is a state where firearms are highly esteemed. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. greenbrucelee

I agree, but in the UK its a lot tighter, the farmer tony Martin had been robbed so many times he could not sleep and would wait for intruders with a shotguns beside him, one night two intruders came and Mr Martin fired into the darkness at his isolated farmhouse.

He shot one thema 16 year old in the back who died, Mr Martin was then jailed for life but eventually let out after 3 years.

I am sorry for the family of the 16 year old but I would have done exactly the same thing although I would have made sure my aim was bang on (excuse the pun) and I would have got both of them.

People like that deserve what they get and the innocent householder.

14. Kitkatninja

No just a Bo. It's a six foot wooden staff, the first MA weapon attended training on (followed by the boken - wooden sword and then the sai).

-Ken

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You see, I don't see the justification for killing an intruder, but killing someone who has been out with your woman is a different matter. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. BosonMichael

I never said I'd be forced to kill an intruder... driving them away would be sufficient. But if it came down to the intruder's life or my the lives of my family... they'd pay the price for their actions.

17. greenbrucelee

I never learned the Bo, I started on rubber nunchackus before real one, the sais then wooden sword before doing katas with real ones.

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Right. you get the ASBO after you've twatted someone with it.

:biggrin

19. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I didn't realise Freddy was a staff member here - and I'll call out who I like if I think something is wrong.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  20. BosonMichael

My mistake; I thought Trip had posted it. In any case, the mods have already "had a look" at it, and deemed everything to be fine.

As far as you "calling out who you like":

If you have a problem with a post, report it to the mods... that's what the little ! icon is for.