Last minute 217

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Taz69, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

During the last week I have been sat in on the 2154 course. On the first couple of days things didn't seem too bad. Most of the topics I was familiar with and I figured that I would be ready to have a go at the exam on the Friday provided I took the MOC home and reviewed what had been covered.

Seems as soon as I'd got the exam booked I ended up with a few odds & sods to do each evening after the course so I didn't get the time that I wanted to review and tried cancelling on Friday morning. I was intending to just reschedule it for the beginning of next and asked a colleague to hold off on booking it again until I'd thought about the best time to book it for.

Unfortunately she thought I meant that I'd get back to her on cancelling and didn't cancel the exam. Because we provide Vue exams I can be scheduled to take an exam in the morning and take it in the afternoon without needing to rebook but cannot cancel an exam after the scheduled time without losing the exam credit.

After completing my I course she asked me when I was going in as she had left it booked because I'd not got back. Considering this was 2:30 on the final day of the course and the exam fee was now an expense one way or the other I decided that I'd just go for it. With 2 hours prep I headed to the exam room at about 5, by 6:30 ish I was cheering and screaming the building down [​IMG] with a score of 780.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

I only got a coule of hours to quickly watch a CBT Nuggets video on sites (got called out during the module) and hit a few practice tests from Certtutor [​IMG] (Sorry, though I know many members visit both sites (no pun intended))

Work covering exam costs has become an issue with one of our trainers just sitting exams with the opinion that if he fails he'll be able to try again within a couple of weeks rather than preparing properly in the first place.

I don't think the management would have been happy that I'd rushed an exam on the last day and failed badly or that I didn't make sure that my colleague had cancelled whilst it was still an option so this will be one of the more memorable MCPs for all the wrong reasons ;)

Nothing like a little bit of pressure to bring the best out of someone [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

congrats mate, on a job well done, close call or not :)
    a pass is a pass in this industry :P
    (except in the CCIE Lab lol)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Top Dog, Taz [​IMG] Gratz, my friend. Nice performance under pressure.

Usual CertForums recommendation now ? Go and [​IMG] - we'll join you in spirit [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Big Congrats from me Taz, way to go brother [​IMG]

I don't think the same aproach would work for 219 but if you are going to sit 219 next, you should sit it sooner rather than later as the exam is built on designing the things learnt in 217!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Nice one Taz, well done, you handled the pressure, and it paid off. [​IMG][​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

WELL DONE

Now go and book 219 for next week apart from the diffrent type of exam. Case Study based it is no more difficult. I wish I had sat them back to back. :D

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Nice one Taz69[​IMG]

8. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Thanks everyone [​IMG]

I've already loaded up the 219 Transcender but I don't know if I dare enquire about going for it next Friday. Especially considering I have the 70-227 (ISA) exam booked for the 16 July. [​IMG]

For a more useful summary of the exam.

I can't emphasise about knowing DNS pretty well. Along with the expected questions on Group Policy, Sites, Domains and also Security Policies just make sure that you have the handle on DNS.....
    (Not just with Active directory Integrated zones but also Primary and Secondry Zones as 1 or 2 questions might have been stolen from the beast [​IMG] )

Many of the questions were the dreaded 'Choose all that apply' so be warned.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003