Large DVD/Book/Game/Stuff collection, Have a mac? Try this

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi All

Have just bought a new piece of software that I thought I needed to share with you fine people. If some of you, like me, have large/Huge/Sprawling/Oh My God where did my house go (delete as appropriate) collections of books and DVDs etc then you might want to give a thought to delicious Library/. Its a bit of cataloguing software that makes use of your webcam and intenternet connection to quickly and accurately build up a catalogue of your items, in fact almost any item that has a barcode can be catalogued (although it apprently stuggles with wine)

To give you a picture I managed to input all 196 dvd titles, 26 video games and 4 books in under 2 hours and most of that was spent actually getting the damn things of the shelves. I think I had to manually enter 4 titles out of that so I would say its pretyty accurate.

This was something I have been meaning to do for a while as a friend of mine got broken into and all of his music and DVDs were taken and he didnt get the full value of what was lost as he couldnt name all that was missing. Oh yeah and the bragging rights.

IF you fancy giving it a go you can download it for free and then lodge up to 25 titles in its database which should give you a good idea of what its like.

Hope you all find this as useful as I did.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

This is actually a pretty cool bit o' software from the sounds of it. I'm gonna go give it a try later, thanks mate.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Quite an interesting bit of software... I wonder how quickly and accurately it reads the details though...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Shame is mac specific. Could have tried that out on windows. Looks great.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Looks pretty cool, but don't have a mac.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

From what I saw last night (had a case of insomnia and did my games, external hard drives and started on my books) very accurately, I think it made 5 mistakes across all of them with maybe 20 manual entries over all.

The other thing I found out is that it integrates with your address book and calender so it makes notes when you want to lend stuff out. Very good

For those of you not mac enabled try this link to see if there is one that will fulfil your needs.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I used to use software for cataloguing my laserdisc and dvd collection on the pc. Tried several progs and many used to connect to IMDB and Amazon to pull off data.

They were very good but I got fed up with entering the data.

Still have the old laserdics - about 170 of them plus a dvd collection of over 600 films. Too big now to even contemplate going back to bunging them in a database ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)