LAPTOP

Discussion in 'A+' started by hoss, Apr 22, 2006.

1. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

hi am doing the A+with skillstrain,i am away all week working and was wondering whether a laptop would be any use to help me with my studying during the week,although i have a pc at home i can use at the w/e.is it worth the expense,any answers gratfully accepted thanks :unsure

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on what you intend to use it for.

For books and suchlike *I* prefer real books, but then I'm old-fashioned! :biggrin You may find that putting the PDFs that come with many books on the laptop a better way to go.

On the hardware side I'd say that laptops aren't really like desktops, and you don't really have the option of taking one apart to see the differences, say, between the ISA bus and PCI.

If it is an older laptop, and hence out of guarrantee, you could attempt to install more than one version of Windows on it which will help with the OS part.

On the whole I'd prefer to take the books rather than a laptop if it is a question of weight and/or bulk. But this is a personal preference!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

thanks harry,the reason i would be using a laptop is to do the course work that comes on cd with the course,and to download stuff off the internet about A+ eg:Q & A its just the cost of buying the laptop and justifying it,but not sure if i need the extra tuition it would provide as i can only study at home on the desk pc at w/e when i get home.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah - hadn't considered course work! I suspect you could buy a second-hand laptop, as I wouldn't expect the CD to need the latest high-power machine. This would save you some money.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

THANKS HARRY HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WERE I CAN GET 1 FROM AS THERE AR'NT ANY WHERE I LIVE(GT YARMOUTH)LOCALLY min sec is pentium 2, 64mb ram,win 98,screen res 1024x768,256 colours min :thumbleft

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Try Ebay, your local computer fairs, or even your local newspaper. :biggrin