Problem Laptop With A Big Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Special Brew, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I am looking for a latop with a huge screen, but don't know the biggest one i can get, without connecting a external monitor to it.

This is for a friend, they asked me to advise them on one, but i was clueless, except i would look for them.

They need this for reading lots of articles, word format, pdf etc.. When i say lots, i mean lots lol.. So they wanna spend less time scrolling etc.

all advice needed and appreciated!!!

Special Brew!!!

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

17 is generally it
    you may be able to find 19

neither of these are 'huge' screens, I don't have a single 19" monitor anywhere, and couldnt comfortably work from one for any length of time
    this is the limitation of laptops

most laptops with decent gfx controllers can power external 27 or 30" screens and massive resolutions

I'm not sure the love of the stupidly powerful laptop that weigns a ton, generates 10000 BTU and has a huge screen.. its not really a laptop at that point

i can't work properly without my primary setup of three Dell U2410 screens :)
    i literally ended a meeting on the laptop and rejoined from the home office as soon as i got to it, working that way just works better for me

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

I advised this friend to get a desktop computer in their office, or use a external monitor, because we all know laptop screens are limited, as you said.
    The thing is, he has a new office outside his house though he wants something he can take into the house after each visit, due to theft, and a good record of the little bastards too lol.

Anyways, it's unrealistic for them to take away a desktop computer and monitor each visit, but possible with a laptop.
    Though the size of the screen again is the problem.

So, What would you say my options are? It's kind of like they ''want their cake and eat it too''

Any ideas ? =/

Special Brew!!

4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

How's his eyesight? You can get laptop screens with higher than normal resolutions which give more 'space' whilst not being physically any larger.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

why not get a decent docking station set up at home and the office with larger screens
    he can then just move the laptop between the sites and keep it closed but on the docking station, it will use the external monitors

i wouldnt worry about moving the monitors, he can just kensington lock them
    if he is that worried about theft i guess he has bigger issues to deal with :)

7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Sadly. never seen one in person... But it IS quite a beast. My M6500 is 'just' a 17"er, but has a larger resolution tho, and in the end that's all that matters to me. I need the screen estate.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

You can get a Dell Studio 1558 which has 1920 x 1080 screen reolution 15" laptop.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  9. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

I have a HP 8710w 17" mobile workstation (as they call it) that I bought 18 months or so back. That's a beast, so it rarely comes out of my house :biggrin! Only gets used for studying nowadays as I prefer to use my smaller HP laptop for everyday use.

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I have a Toshiba Satellite P500-14L which has an 18.5 inch screen. I use it for running virtual desktop OS's and management tools. It has an i5 CPU and 4GB so is well spec'd. Paid around £850 and as far as I know they are still knocking around. It weighs a tonne so pretty much isn't all that portable unless you want a hernia.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

my 15" does 1920x1080
    its still just a single screen though, at home it connects to a 24" Dell screen

it does however have 16GB ram and an i7, and is not TOO heavy for that sort of horse power :)

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Asus with an 18.4 (but not cheap !)

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/#search=1&screenSize[4]=18.4-18.4

Also found these listed but ot sure about UK availibility and pricing :

20.1 Inch Large Screen
    Acer Aspire 9810 (lx.af60u.015) Pc Notebook – 1680 x 1050
    Hp Pavilion Hdx9010nr – 1680 x 1050

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. Shinigami

There's some dual screen laptops coming out soon... or already have.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yeah but again they defy the term laptop
    who sits that on their lap?
    the Lenovo W700 or something i think is one of them

decent workstation class desktop and as many screens as possible any day thanks
    especially now i can power 6 WUXGA screens out of a single Radeon now ;)

15. Shinigami

Maybe using LED lit LCD's (thinner screens, thus lighter) and running at a size closer to 15" could make it an ok "lap" based notebook. If opening up the two screens is too much, I heard you can also keep one screen hidden behind the other and use it as a single screen.

But haven't used one, so no idea on the weight... Just keep the resolution high and I'm a happy camper.