laptop screen problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sandbro, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Sandbro

Sandbro New Member

Hi
    My daughters laptop which is about 2 years old this christmas has developed 2 vertical white bands on the screen. They are both about 2.5 cm wide. First one appeared and then the second. I have tried attaching a different monitor and the laptop works ok with a different monitor. Can anyone advise me as to what the problem might be? Thank you

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are 3 possibles I can think of, depoending on the model and the construction of the laptop.

1) The screen itself has developed a fault

2) The flexible cable between the two halves is breaking (usualy from stress) or perhaps is loose in the socket.

3) The driver electronics has failed somewhere.

Laptop repairs tend to be somewhat expensive, so unless you have an extended warranty I suggest you get several quotes for the repair before going ahead.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would have said the cable also but never thought of the other two.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I agree with both Harry and GBL...

It sounds like either the LCD panel itself has gone bad, or perhaps the cable connecting it to the motherboard is damaged or even just loose. I suppose another problem could be with the connection point on the motherboard being damaged. Depending on how confident you are in your laptop repair skills, you could always take the laptop apart and verify the connections, but sometimes disassembling a laptop to fix one problem sometimes causes 3 others.

Good luck to you!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Uh...just in case this all goes toes up, backup the laptop NOW! As mentioned, laptop repairs and especially display repairs are very expensive. You may end up replacing the laptop itself. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Sandbro

Sandbro New Member

Thank you all for your help. i have never opened up a laptop before so i suppose i should just find an expert to take a look. Thanks for the advice.:D

7. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Do 2 lines appear always, regardless of what angle the screen is at? If they do it's probably the screen. If they appear only at certain angles it more likely to be the video cable.

some of the compaq/hp laptops had a problem with video cable getting worn down - it was routed thru one of the hinges and iver time opening and closing the laptop caused the plastic insulation to wear out. replacing the cable fixed it but it's not easy as you have to open both halves of the laptop.

this was a couple of years ago so HP have probably sorted it out.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design