Laptop Ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghostrc, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ghostrc

ghostrc New Member

Hi

I have a Novatech (uniwill 259IA1) laptop which has Vista Ultimate installed on it, it came with two sticks of 512 in it which the manufacturer say is the limit however intel say the 855PM chipset is capable of 2gb "2 SO-DIMMs / 2 GB System Memory"

If I do a crucial memory scan I get

Maximum Memory Capacity: 3145728 MB :rolleyes:
    * Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
    * Available Memory Slots: N.A.
    * Number of Banks: 2
    * Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    * CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

I have tried all of my local computer shops and non of them have any 1gb sticks of SO-Dimms I can try.

Any ideas?

WIP: As yet to be decided
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yeah, don't use local computer stores - purchase hardware from the internet.

A link to a SO-Dimm 1Gig stick is here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Notebook-Memory-SODIMM-PC2700/dp/B000N5PWR8

Dunno if it's the correct speed, you'd need to check your mobo manual/website - just to prove they do exist. Have a dig around, I'm sure you'll find what you require.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. ghostrc

ghostrc New Member

That link was the for the right speed stuff :D

I did not want the hassle of having to send stuff back if it does not work and it won't take more than 1gb (can you return ram?), it's more who do I believe, the manufacturer or intel :eek:

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I *ususly* believe the manufacturer. While the chipset may support more memory there is no guarantee that the manuf has used it to the full.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Don't Crucial offer to sell you the right memory after they've scanned your computer. As I recall, Crucial aren't that expensive, although it's been a while since I brought ram on its own and not part of a larger order.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sod's law prevails. :)

It's doubtful that you will need to return it (it's just like a regular piece of hardware - you shouldn't assume that it's not goijng to work by default).

You should check where you're purchasing it as to specific returns policies. Amazon should be pretty good though.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. ghostrc

ghostrc New Member

@ TimoftheC Yeah but the crucial scan gives a rather random figure.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might think that's a random figure, but it's actually quite exact... it's 3 GB x 1024 x 1024. There are 1024 MB in a GB, and there are 1024 KB in a MB. :)

I would guess that that Maximum Memory Capacity isn't 3145728 MB, because that would be 3 TB of memory... it's likely 3145728 KB, which is 3 GB.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. ghostrc

ghostrc New Member

I have had a reply from an email I sent to Crucial Memory and they say they confirm the max amount it can have is 2GB.

The only thing left for me to do is get my wallet out and buy some and see. :rolleyes: