Laptop: Prop-Forward

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Our company has started using this instead of docking stations.

The idea with this is that using a laptop on its own is bad for posture (you end up leaning forward to use it). Buying a docking station means that you also have to buy a screen to use for the laptop. If you buy this prop-forward, it tilts the laptop up so that the screen of the laptop is at an appropriate height for use, you can then plug a USB Hub into the laptop connected to a Mouse and keyboard.

The downside to this unit is that you have to plug in (at least) one USB cable, and a power cable to use (very possibly an ethernet cable too). but considering this items cost compared to the cost of a docking station + screen, i think thats an acceptable disadvantage.

Just thought some of you might find this of benefit.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice find, Fergal. However as a typical Scot, I am off to nick the idea and build me own for £0.00.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

:lol: is it a fantastic piece of kit though isnt it. my work have more or less completely stopped selling docking stations any more. they're more hassle than their worth for a start, and you save so much money this way (docking stations are what? 100 quid, and a tft monitor is about 200 say, compared to 30 quid - postage inclusive).

I intend to pick this up, and use a kvm switch to use my mouse, keyboard, and speakers between my (two currently) systems.

lets see what i get for xmas first though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It looks to me like the laptop screen would be too high for good posture, you could end up with a crook neck. :blink

Having used laptops for donkeys years, I have no problems at all with the laptop keyboards. I do use a laptop optical mouse rather than the touch pad though.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Now I do like that, I think I'll get one for work then measure it up and get the technology department to make a few more. Thanks for posting Fergal. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Fergal1982

Well i just got mine the other day, and i must say i do quite like it. certainly raises the screen up a fair bit.

For any of you guys interested in this. Since ive just bought one i have a recommenders code, which i can use to give people small discounts when buying. If you want a code, then just PM me (although i wont give a code out to people if they havent posted at least a few posts onto the forum - none of this signing up just to get a code from me malarky!!!!!)

Fergal

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Respect.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity