Laptop Power Supply Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Jul 8, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been doing a lot of work on my laptop lately, both at work and at home. I just noticed that the power supply keeps cutting out on me. The power strip it's plugged into is putting out power ok but the transformer to the laptop keeps going out. If I unplug the transformer from the power plug for a few moments and then plug it back in, the power indicator light comes back on the the laptop battery starts charging. Unfortunately, this lasts only a few minutes before the indicator light goes off again and the laptop starts using battery power.

I've unplugged the transformer from the power cord and powered down the laptop. The transformer has gotten quite warm and I wonder if it's overheating. The unit is about 15 months old. Could it be dying? Seems pretty chinzy if it is dying and only a year and a quarter old. It's a dell laptop power supply so it's not like I can go to CompUSA and pick up another one (unless there is another brand that would work). I've had troubles with this laptop and Dell in the past and am not anxious to hassle with their tech support critters again. Suggestions or comments?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Additional Note. I plugged the transformer back into the power cord and walked away to do some errands upstairs. Came back and it's still up. Seems warm but maybe it's supposed to be. Indicator light is on. The IT-100 box I have on my desk uses a laptop power supply that transformer is only very slightly warm by comparison.

Anyway, I'll let the battery charge for awhile but I can't keep the laptop powered down forever. I need to work on the thing.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I believe the power supply and the laptop running warm are quite normal, Trip - wouldn't be too worried about that at this stage. Thats not to say you might not have a dodgy power supply on your hands, though...

Still, laptops around here have a habit of making miraculous recoveries once discussed at length on the Boards - keep talking, and it'll be fine :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When I first got my laptop, I was worried at how hot the transformer got.
    Reason being, I didn't know if this was normal or not, never having had a laptop before.

Strange thing is, it hardly ever gets hot anymore, just slightly warm.
    (do I have the strangest laptop ever built or what lol:!:[​IMG]

Following this thread with interest.

Sorry I can't give any advice, but going by Jak's theory, at least this post will contribute to it's recovery[​IMG]

Try unplugging it for a bit.You already did that didn't you.Oh well[​IMG]

Hope you get it sorted mate.Must be annoying[​IMG]

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No problems. Seems to be fine. Some, odd, transient problem that I hope never comes back. I left for lunch and did put the laptop into hibernate mode. Powered back up fine. Transformer is warm but I think not quite as hot as it was this a.m. Whatever. :dry