Laptop migration complete

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I am now running only gentoo on my Laptop
    I have gnome-light 2.6 running, have DVD playback working, almost have VMWare working on it, have a BF1942 server working
    Samba and apache and mysql
    all working fine

once i got DVD playback, Firefox and Gaim working fine i was set, thats all i 'really' use my laptop for on a daily basis, and when i get VMWare to work, the wireless to work and the CDR to burn CDs ill have it doing everything i used my laptop for bar games

im currently dual booting with windows, but may just remove that and salvage the 30GB its using :)

Gentoo is a source based distribution, in that all the packages you add are compilied on your PC from source, making it very fast as everything is optimised for your environment, however the initial installation is more than daunting to the novice, and can take over a day on a P4-M 1.8 512MB ram
    dont let this put you off though, once you all pass the Red Hat masterclass I might just drop you in the deepend with a gentoo one ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds like you're just the man to do it. Can't wait for the gentoo class.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

VMWare WORKS!
    bloody amazing, gentoo is absolutely the best distribution i have used to date, its portage sytem that it uses to install apps is amazing, with over 8000 apps ready to be emerged
    I just did 'emerge vmware-workstation' and ran a config scrtipt after, and it works!
    in something like Redhat i would have to mess around with a .tar.gz file, and perform all manner of manual configuration

this is great

enjoy the screenshot :) w000t

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I want some, where is it, give it to me:!:, give it:!::!: arggghhhh:!: :inv :what?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice one Phoenix - sounds like a result for you there :D

So now, you wont mind if I compile a list of questions re my recent Redhat 8 install, and subsequent "issues" and mail it to you ??? :oops:

Kidding, btw - I'll send them one by one !

Mod Edit: The playlist on display on that screenshot could easily offend some Members - please do something about it ASAP :dry

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL @ the playlist comment jak

a friend of mine said you might want to hide the playlist if this is going on a public forum :)

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Shoulda listened, m8 :oops:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity