1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by postman, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. postman

    postman Byte Poster

    176
    3
    24
    My sons computer got wet from the rain today and it no longer boots up.

    Do I give it a few hours and hope for the best or is it FUBAR and I'll have to get him another one?
     
    WIP: A+
  2. SuPaStA

    SuPaStA Nibble Poster

    71
    0
    21
    remove battery and wait till it drys.
     
    Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

    Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

    8,871
    167
    256
    It could be FUBAR, water can cause electronic circuitry to fail if you power it on while still wet.

    Try using a hair dryer on it for a while, you need it to be 100% dry before you switch it on.
     
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. SuPaStA

    SuPaStA Nibble Poster

    71
    0
    21
    I would not suggest using a hair dryer as that will cause more damage on the board, why do you think we have heatsinks and fans in the pc to keep it cool.
     
    Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  5. postman

    postman Byte Poster

    176
    3
    24
    I was on whenever it got wet and whenever my son found it he tried turning it back on (he said it made a grinding noise).
     
    WIP: A+
  6. Fergal1982

    Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

    4,196
    171
    211
    ultimately. what do you have to lose from leaving it in a warm (but not too warm) place for a few days until it totally dries out, then trying to fire it back up again?
     
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Mathematix

    Mathematix Megabyte Poster

    969
    35
    74
    Actually, Bluerinse's suggestion will not lead to any harm. A hairdryer will not take any compoents to 60+ celsius.

    The only concern is that the hairdryer could cause a very dry atmosphere and increase the risk of electrostatic damage. If a hairdryer is used don't touch anything until the 'dry heat' has subsided.
     
    Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.

Share This Page

Loading...