Laptop Had It???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kat731, Dec 10, 2006.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

ok this ones got me baffed....
    Compaq N1020v. Was donated to the computer charity i volunteer for. Said it was ok when the owner had it..(Yeh right) Why donate it then.. or am i just an old cynic!! Anyway, Press power button CD drive clicks, HDD ticktocks, so thats knackd me thinks. HDD removed, just nothing no bios, zip.... jut a power light. What dya think... spares or is it worth trying something else.

Kat:blink

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sure its not just the display?

Try booting it up with a monitor attached to the VGA port (if there is one)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

He He....
    Cheers Zeb, just hooking it to my Mac Minis TFT... Let ya know in a mo!!

Kat

4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

No.. nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Doesn't sound like the inverter board then (which is what usually goes on lappy displays first). Just to be 100% sure, you could fire it up then stick a network cable in the back. If you've got activity on the NIC, try waiting until it would usually have got to the GINA then, provided you're on a network and have DHCP, try a ping sweep and see if you can identify a 'new' workstation. If so, then the display is fubared (note - ordinarily I would say that plugging into an external monitor and not getting a picture would eliminate display problems, but just in case the external VGA port is hosed...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Still messing about with this... well, not since b4 xmas. Got it working, sort of!!!
    Undone screws, take out cd rom, where it splits if you know what i mean... if i hold it apart where the cd slots it boots, as soon as i let it close the mouse freezes and wont boot!! must be earthing itself somewhere??? correct me if maybe something else.
    Kat:eek:

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes something could be shorting out or maybe one of the connectors has come loose. I would try and dismantle it completely and then carefully put it back together again keeping a close eye on what is touching the system board.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)