Laptop from Argos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TruthOrDare, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

I've been thinking of getting a laptop for a while, and I saw this really high spec laptop in the new Argos catalogue for £799.99.

It's a HP DV5-1010 and for the spec, it seems VERY cheap for what it is.

The link: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ogId=1500001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=5080331

What do you guys think? Is it a good one or did I miss something?

The one thing I've found is that the processor for it, is somewhat of a mystery according to results from google.

WIP: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Here's the spec direct at the HP site :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9142&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

It's actually a DV5-1010et and there is also a DV5-1010tx which has a different processor - maybe that's what's causing the confusion ?

Having checked the Intel website I cannot see a P7350 listed but it could be that this is a one-off custom for HP. Typically processor maufacturers do this and then only make the stock available to the likes of PCWorld etc. and not through independent computer retailers (Toshiba also do this, marketing AMD specced machines thru the large stores thus cutting independents out).

Hope all that helps

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm that's odd I can't find that model on the HP UK website?:blink

Even more odd is the CPU? Unless it's 64 bit and the OS is 64 bit edition how can windows reconize 4GB of RAM? When 32 bit only registers 3GB?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I did find it (see above) but looks like it's an end of range as the 1010 doesn't seem to be listed as a "current" model

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ah! it's on the US website, although have you seen the specs for the memory??

Memory 3072 (2 x 1024 MB) err is my maths really that bad but I thought 1024 x 2 is 2048 not 3072? Where did HP get that figure from:eek:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

That's HP for ya !

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Another laptop that you may to consider is the Acer 6920G (I have the C2D 2.4 GHz, full HD version), it is alot cheaper than the HP laptop. In fact it'll still be cheaper even if you bought it with the Platinum warranty (this covers Accidental Damage).

Up until last year I would have never recommended Acer (I'm a Toshiba man myself), however in the last year they have brought out alot of good durable laptops with very good/high specs at fantastic prices. And it's this reason why I buy Acer laptops for staff members at work (this year I've bought 34, last year I bought about 20-30).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Kitkatninja

I thought that it was a typo to begin with, but Toshiba also has that processor, you may want to see here for alittle more info :)

It seems to be more common now for laptop manufacturers to put 4GB of ram on laptops, but only include a 32bit OS. I guess it's kind of marketing, they supply you with 4GB of ram but supply a 32bit OS to ensure maximum compatibility with existing applications/drivers...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I used to work at Acer as first line support in their call centre up to about 16 months ago, might have spoken to you if you ever phoned them.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. Kitkatninja

Na, since buying Acer's in the last year, I haven't needed to ring :)

-Ken

11. NightWalker

They make some cool looking machines these days, a couple of years ago they were all grey and boring.

12. Kitkatninja

And their old laptops were flimsy and practically useless...

-Ken

13. NightWalker

The number of times I spoke to a customer who had the pin snap off the power socket on their laptop,
    or the plastic by the lid hinge crack :blink

14. Kitkatninja

Yeap, on the ones we bought about 4 years ago had weak hinges, weak keyboards, weak power sockets, and the 1.6Ghz & 1.8Ghz were alot slower than other brands, and the list goes on. The new gen of Acer laptops are alot stronger, I'm very glad and happy of that (my name's on the order of all the new Acers :lol: )

-kn