Laptop fans running rough

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Jan 9, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm used to the normal noise the fans make in my laptop but they just started making a noise that's more rough, as if they were rubbing against something. I thought maybe there was some dust accumulation so I used a can of compressed air to blow out the fans and vents. Some dust did emerge and I hoped that was that.

Unfortunately, when the fans came on again, the same sound was present. I have temporarily powered down the laptop "just in case". I tried searching Google and Dell's site (it's a Dell Inspiron 8200) with strings such as "laptop fan noise" or "rattle" or "maintenance" but found no useful results. I suppose if push comes to shove, I'll have to open the thing up and eyeball the fan assembly but since that requires opening up the entire unit, it'll be something of a pain.

My tools are at home so I won't be able to do "major surgery" until tonight. Anyone out there have any useful info or ideas? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It could just be slightly out of alignment, thus rubbing agains it's housing.

Unfortunately you will have to open it up to sort it.

It's been a looooong time since I opened up a laptop, strange this is whenever I put them back together I always have some screws left over? :rolleyes:

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think it is quite a normal thing that some fans start getting noisy as they get older. It may be that the bearings are drying out and some lubrication might help. For a long term solution, I would be looking for a replacement fan but as it's a laptop it's not going to be easy.

Also, taking a laptop apart is not always an easy thing. Like so many things these days, the method of dismantling is not necessarily obvious to the eye. Manufacturers are using hidden plastic clips which can be easily broken if you use slightly too much force in the wrong area.

Hmmm, that reminds me, I haven't heard my laptops fan in a while and it is summer here :rolleyes: Oh dear :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You make a good point, Pete. I don't really want to dismantle my laptop unless I have no other alternative. The fan's seem to be running normally...that is, running when they need to cool the laptop down. It seems a tad quieter now. Think I'll monitor it for a bit and see what happens. I do suspect that they could use a bit of cleaning and a small lube job. I heard that sewing machine oil is good for that sort of thing.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure what sewing machine oil is Trip :blink

However, any fine oil would work I am sure. Triflow, WD40 etc. Fans usually have bronze bushings which are not meant to need lubrication but that is in an ideal world and before wear and dust has set in.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

While on the subject of laptop repairs can anyone recommend a place for spares?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I finally found a owner's manual for my laptop on the web. Getting to the fan is a major effort. You have to remove the drives, keyboard, and system board just to get at them. I went so far as lifting out the keyboard which let me at least blow compressed air at them from the other direction. They still sound a bit rough but at least they're working. My main concern is that they'll seize up and my laptop will melt like an ice cream cone in July.

I'm going to a conference (non-IT) with the missus and a couple of friends starting tomorrow and I might not even take the laptop with me. No time today to do a major dismantling of the thing. Probably revisit this again when I get back.

8. kieran18

kieran18 Bit Poster

just try n get the base off it ... try bendin out the edge ov the soroundings on the fans unless there the plastic 1s . get a paint brush n giv it a good clean .. make sure its got no hair in it cos that raps around the centre of the fan. if your cpu uses thermal paste then put some new on it.

Certifications: ncfe
    WIP: mcse
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, I managed to get it open enough to blow compressed air through the fans from the inside. They've been humming along normally ever since. I suspect some debris was caught in their causing a bit of friction. Thanks for the tip. :)