Laptop battery charging problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dude182, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

have a problem with the battery on my laptop its an acer aspire 1640 recently the battery doesn't seem to charge from the mains.
    When the mains cable is plugged in the laptop runs fine and says that the battery is charging so i assume that means the power cable is ok.
    When the power cable is removed even though the laptop says the battery holds some charge it goes in to hibernation because there is not enough power in it?
    There is a battery light indicator on the front of the laptop which is green when charged or mains power plugged in or orange when battery is low, this currently flashes orange.
    Not sure if its something as simple as it needs a new battery? The laptop is about 2-3 yrs old now.

Thanks in advance.

2. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

I had a similar problem. It turned out that the battery was dead, so I just bought a new one and then the laptop worked/charged fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like the battery is worn out, 2-3 years is about as long as they last in many cases. Google the flashing orange light, from memory I believe this flashes when the battery is critically low.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

any ideas where the best place to get a new battery is? thanks.

5. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Another Google got me this :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have an oooooold tablet PC that reports 2% battery life almost as soon as you unplug it. With Windows left at the default settings, it would obviously go into standby/hibernation/shutdown mode almost immediately. However, I disabled those options so that Windows doesn't automatically shut the computer down... and the tablet stayed up for another 90 minutes at idle with full screen brightness. Turns out that the battery really didn't know how much charge it had left. It reports incorrectly to Windows, and Windows shuts down, even though there's charge left. You might give that a shot.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!