Language Proficiencies on CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fergal1982, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I make it a policy to not include Hobbies on my CV, as I think it irrelevant to getting the job by and large. As a result, I've left off language classes, as I've been viewing it as more of a hobby than anything else.

However, I'm beginning to think that I should include it within my CV as a language proficiency. The question is, where?

I have a proficiencies/skills section where I detail my programming skills, so I could put it there, but I feel like it should be in another section.

If I were to create a new "Language" section, I could put it in there, but unless I also included English then it would look pretty lonely.

Where do you guys put your linguistic capabilities?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I have always put interests on my CV as ive been told it helps employers get a feel for the person rather than just seeing a career and education history.

If you dont want to put an interests section then just put it on the CV when it applies to the job you are applying for.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have an "Additional information" section at the end of my CV where I have driving license and languages.
    I do list english as well because as you say without it it would look rather poor.

Best of luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Mine is listed underneath my US Army employment, as I learned it when I was in the service.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I agree about not putting hobbies on my cv most employers I speak to dont really care as long as you have the skills they want thats all they are looking at a cv for.

I would put it other skills. Speaking another langauge is a big plus for some companies espically in the areas around London where I work.

Certifications: A few.
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

That is something that I would include. You never know when it will give you an edge on the competition in landing that interview over the competition even for jobs when the listing has no mention of second languages.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I always put hobbies, infact it's because of that that I am still friends with a guy who I worked with several years ago (WoW ftw).

As far as languages go, if you can speak them fluently and you're going to use them in work then why not?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

I speak fluent French, but never have put it on my CV. Have been told many times by family/friends/colleagues to put it on.

Never seen the need to really, but I do like to see the total shock of people who have known me a long time and never knew I could speak another language when I start speaking french to old uni mates (who are french and studied over here) :D. I like to speak to them in their native tongue because it lets me practice it and keeps me sharp if you will. And because I've been taught to speak French, they say I speak it better than they do :biggrin. But having said that, they speak english better than I do!

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+