Landed My first role!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

I finally handed in my notice at royal mail today as I got the job as a 1st line support engineer, what a great feeling, all the studying has paid off!!

I think the key to getting the job was being confident in the interview, although my technical skills were needed the job advert seemed to be based on the right candidate being friendly and outgoing. I was one of 25 people interviewed, so I didnt think I was going to get it due to the fact that Ive had no experience at all. The interview seemed to go really well, I had it on the tuesday and they told me on the wednesday afternoon.

This was the second interview that Ive had for a 1st line support role (failing the first) and the main thing ive learned was at this level your communication skills are just as if not more important than you technical skillset. At this level full training is provided so I think as long as you show a genuine interest in IT, talk about your certs but to secure the job build up a great relationship with your interviewee from the start to the end of the interview, at the end of the day you could have all the knoledge in the world but if they don't click with you I don't think you stand a very good chance.

Thats about it really, I start on tuesday after the bank holiday so ill keep you all posted,

Danny :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and good luck ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the new job :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats! Soft skills are very important and many in our industry have a long way to go in that area. Being well rounded will become more and more important. As the younger generations are practically "born" with computer skills it will be difficult for those only with hard skills to compete.

Good luck in your new role and it is nice to see someone stick with it until an opportunity arose. you should be proud beating out 25 candidates.:thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, nice one! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great news, congrats! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done that man!

What a feeling, remember it well, it's the reason you got into IT :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good on you and congrats:) and thanks for the great tips on communication skillsets. I can't agree more, lets have a three day report from you when you get started.

Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685