Landed My First IT Role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dominoe, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

:alc

Been a while since I posted here since I passed my A+, but I just recently got my first job in IT which I start on the 14th of July :) .
    Its 1st Line Tech support for a software company that sells their own software/hardware soltutions to the aftermarket Automotive industry ie gararges,M.O.T centres and I think wholesale and retail as well.
    Any way just thought Id relate a few things that I thought help me get this. Firstly after I passed my A+ last year I managed to get a part-time shop assistant job which I felt helped me on the customer side of things, at this point I still wasnt getting many interviews part from the odd one.
    After this I decided to try my hand at some voluntary work which I got, helping a local comunity centre maintaining thier laptops they used for Photoshop courses they used to run. after a few months of this interviews started to increase and I eventually got this one really cant wait now :) :)..

here are a few of the job sites and voluntary sites I used..
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html
    http://www.jobsite.co.uk/
    http://www.reed.co.uk

http://www.mysheffieldjobs.co.uk/ (for any one that lives in south yorkshire)

Voluntary sites I used
    http://www.do-it.org.uk/
    http://www.it4communities.org.uk

just a few last words for anyone thats still looking for that foot in the door, living in the UK I was working the the steel industry for 12 years with just a a very keen interest in computers and IT.. took me about a year + after I was made redundant but I got their in the end thanks to certforums for keeping me going :D.. just need to pass my N+ now and look for my next target :twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats mate! Good luck on N+

3. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Well done mate- Im well chuffed for you! :alc

Id begun to start thinking of giving up after reading some of the harsh- yet realistic posts on here about the realities of trying to get even a helpdesk job and after some of my initial job enquiries.

So Im encouraged to read your post, not just that you got the job, but how you actually got it and cheers for sharing those links.

Seems that voluntary work is the way to go. I dont know if I can spare the time being at uni and needing a part time job that actually pays. Do you mind saying roughly how many hours a week you did voluntary for?

Congrats on the job again :biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  4. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

the voluntary work was mainly while they ran their courses, so at the most it was a a couple of hours a day. then their would be a long ish break, also helped them clean up their systems as well once.
    I also think apart from the above, looking back at your past interviews and thinking of ways to improve on the way you promote your self is good as well.

5. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

the voluntary work was mainly while they ran their courses, so at the most it was a a couple of hours a day. then their would be a long ish break, also helped them clean up their systems as well once. Also depends on the people your helping really can be any thing to a couple of hours a week to 3 hours a day
    I also think apart from the above, looking back at your past interviews and thinking of ways to improve on the way you promote your self is good as well.Another thing I found that worked, when I first started I was only applying for jobs say once every 2 weeks.. I then increased this to 4 or 5 a week. sorry double post :P can some one delete the one above?

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on the job!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Cheers for that mate, seeing as its a couple of hours a week or so I could probs fit that in, I will check the links out when I have a moment and see if there is anywhere near me that I can apply to.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  9. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Well done on securing the job dominoe :biggrin

Nice to see somebody sailing the same ship on unchartered waters finally hitting land so to speak. I also tried the do-it.org site but it never came to much in the end, for whatever reason.

Yes indeed, there is hope for us all lol.

Certifications: A+ Certified
  10. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

kind of hit lucky with do-it.org I guess, just need to keep checking it every once in a while

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats dude and good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well done. :thumbleft

Good luck with the new job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done...

16. rodman

rodman New Member

Congratulations, well done. Good job :biggrin

Certifications: Access to ICT
  17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the job... how did the first day go?

18. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Giddy up mate! Well done! :clap

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  19. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

First 2 days went ok as they have not yet let me loose on the phones yet, Im learning how to use their main software package they develop at the moment, but later on in the week Ive been told I'll be going out on a few field trips to see what gose into installing our systems in the customers business'es so that should be fun :).. kind of information overload at the moment so my heads a little fuzzey lol.
    After that I'll be eased into the full thing :eek:

20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Whenever I take on a new role, and it's manic in the day, I always try to find time to write my notes up properly either late afternoon or when I get home. That way, they're still fresh, and I can make sure I've grasped all the important points. I also have been known to ask my work colleagues or my boss to scan over them to see if I have made any glaring errors. It shows you care enough to want to be spot on as well.

Glad to see it's going OK. :D