Ladies at interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Leehaa, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

..Glad to see that this has sparked off a nice debate :D

and:
    WHAT SHE SAID! Lol :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've seen this happen quite a lot in IT also, I've had several female bosses who were literally a nightmare to work with...

They generally had very little interest in IT also and fitted the pointy haired boss from dilbert stereotype fairly well. My males bosses by comparison have been 50/50 on average by comparison.

I've only ever worked with one good female coder in 14 years, don't ask me why that might be, she was also quite atttractive...

I have no idea why society is the way it is, I'd say its the constant subliminal influences from society others have hinted at, women presumably feel because of these that its not their thing...

Maybe they've just figured out that IT isn't important and there far better things to spend thier time on...

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

... by way of media influence and 'gender typical' careers. Don't get me wrong, I've crawled under desks where people have had plastic cups full of mould spores, a whole family's worth of shoes and all other monstrosities before you get to the PC (which is obviously full of crap too) and thought 'why, Christ, why?'. But you just get on with the job. I think I feel this way because I've done manual labour, and trust me, crawling under a desk beats cleaning out a concrete hopper at the end of the shift, hands down.

Women are slowly trying to make their way into 'male dominated' industries - but the last bastions of these industries are predominantly those that are labour-orientated (or board table orientated, but I have less experience of that...). It takes strong nerves to walk into a place of work where your gender makes up 0.5% of the workforce - that being you alone. I think a lot of the women in these industries will typically tend to be 'one of the lads' themselves. But we're getting there. Slowly, generation by generation, we're kicking your asses. lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Loads of women in all the companies I have worked in, just they don't do techie jobs by and large, in many cases the other departments are but a desk or a corridor away, the techie team are also not monsters, so I see no real barriers, its not like me trying to become a nurse or take a pilates class ! :D

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, to be honest, there aren't barriers to you becoming a nurse or taking a pilates class. That said, those things probably aren't on your "To Do" list! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

To me very few women demonstrate any interest in 'Hitting the Metal', they are not interested in learning deeply technical things for their own sake, how many women learn assembler ?

How many women want to be on death march projects coding 24/7 for weeks on end ?

For some reason they have no trouble doing physics, chemistry, biotech, forensics, so I can't understand it...

Women that do go into IT tend to prefer roles with a 'fluffy' side like Business Analyst, IT manager or Tester etc where they can use their 'people skills', which are a gender trait where they have in advantage...