Lack of IT skills causes 'grave disadvantage'

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Lack of IT skills causes 'grave disadvantage'

People who are looking for a job will find themselves with a 'grave disadvantage' if they do not have any skill in IT, it has been claimed.

Elspeth Farrar, communications director for the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS), explained that almost all jobs now require 'some kind of competency with computers'.

This is true even if it is just about standard programs such as Word or spreadsheets, she said.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      I'm still absolutely stunned by the utter incompetence of most people - especially those under 25 - when it comes to using a computer. How on Earth can you not even be able to type if you left school less than ten years ago? There are people under 25 at my company who seem to think its acceptable for them not to know how to use Windows Explorer, or save a Word document in the correct place & later retrieve it, or use the 'sum' function on a spreadsheet 'because its computers innit?'. NO, actually, its NOT 'computers' - its WORK - and those skills are absolutely essential in today's workplace.
    2. Wassup
      Wassup
      QFT

:)
    3. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Tell me about it, I once worked with a young business consultant from big blue that couldn't even use word...