Lab environment

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by karlcoot, May 14, 2010.

1. karlcoot

karlcoot New Member

Ok guys. Was just wondering what the preferred vm software is for a lab set up.

I've already passed my xp and 290 exams, going for the 291 next and want to get a virtual lab set up. From your experiences what would you say would be the best one to use?

I've got an older Dell poweredge 750 that I'm going to hook up to run it on.

Regards.. Karl

2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It depends if you want to buy software or you want free software. I personally use VMware workstation, but this is NOT a free product.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. karlcoot

karlcoot New Member

If free is good enough for the job then perfect! :biggrin

I'll take a look at that, Thanks.

4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

sorry I had a typo! It isn't free!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

2 other free solutions are virtual PC and VirtualBox. I really like Virtual PC for some reason but I've got virtualBox so I can install a 64bit quest which I don't think you can do in virtual pc.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

VMware Player is free though.

7. karlcoot

karlcoot New Member

Thanks chaps.

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've used VMWare server successfully before and that is free :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

If you can afford it, VMWare provides an excellent solution (and of course a free solution).

I think VMWare might be a bit of overkill though for a little lab setup. I really like VirtualBox for testing Linux distro's etc but for MS labs I actually really do like Virtual PC.

The other contender to note would be Hyper-V although this comes with Server 2008.

VirtualBox would be my favourite overall for home use. But for strictly MS labs, it's hard to deny Virtual PC 2007 and it's brilliance. And hey, you're doing an MS exam, may as well keep it in check?

For enterprise it's a toss up between VMWare and Hyper-V, maybe lean a bit toward VMWare as Hyper-V is still a bit 'bleeding edge' for enterprise.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually Hyper-V also comes in a free version as well. Of course this means you need a dedicated box for it rather than running it onto of anything else.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Didn't know that, thanks for the pointer. Might have to try it out on it's own...

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  12. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

I use VMWare and its perfect for my studying needs. Currently studying for 70-350, which calls for a network of 5 machines consisting of 4 servers and a client. So I've set up the virtual network on my home computer and its running just fine, including Internet access for the network.

13. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

VMware is great for testing OS's and practicing labs etc pretty much nullified the point of dual booting to some extent.

The main upgrade you could make would be RAM if you need it so you can run a few vm clients and servers with no problems.

For VMware I use a i7 machine, 6GB ram with an ssd for VMware in win7 x64 - Works a treat and is super quick in VM's

For Hyper-V/Server 2008 r2 I have a separate drive conected by eSata, if i want to use Hyper-V/Server 2008 r2 I reboot and change the boot priority to boot from this drive.

This keeps things nice and separate.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  14. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is there anywhere you can download free VHDs for different operating systems for labs

15. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I don't think in Vmware you can use VHD's, so you're left with Hyper-V (which is free) in which case you can make them yourself by just creating new Virtual Machines from the OS disks or ISO's you have.

Probably easy to use Vmware player than the hassle of a seperate Hyper-V install etc.

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I use VMWare esxi and it's free and runs great! the only thing is you need hardware that supports it. I use the ML115 G5 server.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster