KVM Setup Scenario possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karismah, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I have a KVM setup scenario that I need a bit of advice on.

I have a total of four PC units:
    • 1 x main unit
    • 3 x decent spec units for learning purposes
    I also have two monitors:
    • 1 x main (DVI)
    • 1 x secondary (VGA)
    I also have one keyboard and mouse.

This is my ideal scenario:
    • SUB SETUP 1: Use my main monitor for my main PC, always on and always available.
    • SUB SETUP 2: Use my 3 other PCs with my other monitor, with the 3 PC's swappable within the second monitor ONLY
    • Use the same keyboard and mouse for BOTH sub setups, and swap between each setup as necessary.
    • Have both monitors switched on and viewing something all the time
    I know dual view KVMs exist, but firstly, they're expensive, and secondly, they only allow for one PC to output to both monitors at any one time.

I know a cheaper and quicker solution does exist, and that would mean using 2 sets of keyboards and mice for the setup and treating them entirely differently. So, the main system will be treated as a normal standalone and the second setup with a single KVM.

I would like to share the same keyboard and mouse just to save desk space.

Any suggestions anyone? Is there a possible solution? Am I just being silly and over the top? Have I been an idiot and missed something completely obvious?

Thank you all in advance.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can have 2 computers and one monitor and one keyboard & mouse in a KVM switch, I am sure you can get bigger KVM switches that will hold more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not just get one KVM switch for the base units and use your best monitor\keyboard\mouse? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This how we do it at work one the PCs that control the CTP machines.

One base unit controls the data queues, one base unit controls the CTP machine. One monitor, One mouse, one keyboard and a KVM.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Thanks for the responses.

I CAN use one monitor for the whole setup, but I just have another monitor, and thought maybe there is a way to make use of both of them.

Ideally, I would like to be viewing the learning machines and my own machine simultaneously, and also I would like to keep them both separate.

I'm probably being a little over the top here, but it's just a thought of the potential possibility of setting up exactly as I would prefer, otherwise I would go with the next best solution, which is either getting rid of my second monitor altogether from the setup, or keeping my main PC completely completely separate to the learning setup.

Any more ideas please? I'm thinking it's probably me just complicating things here, but it's a problem, and I like solving them :) (with your help of course!)

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

or just use remote administration/control software?

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

This really isnt a difficult setup, certainly not with what you have listed. What you do is:

Hook your Keyboard and mouse into the KVM, and hook up to all 4 machines. You then hook your primary monitor directly into the main machine, and the secondary monitor into the KVM. Plug the output of the monitor socket on the kvm into the monitor ports on each of the three machines (and if you have one, you can hook it into the secondary monitor port on your main machine).

By doing this, you have a single keyboard and mouse for each machine. Your primary monitor is married to your primary machine, and never changes. your secondary monitor will show output from the primary machine whenever you have the kvm set to that machine, otherwise it will show the output from whatever machine the kvm is connected to.

Theres nothing to say that you have to plug any particular component into the kvm at all. If you want a single K&M but each machine has its own monitor, not a problem. just dont use the monitor port. The KVM doesnt care - if theres a signal, it will forward it, if not its not bothered. similarly the machine wont care. it outputs the information regardless.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think Fergal has the best KVM solution for you there.

Alternatively, if you have a secondary VGA output on your main pc you could extend your desktop on to that and use Remote Desktop as mentioned already.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just make sure you buy a good kvm switch that has ports for db male not just one db male and the rest db female's.

The reason being that I recently bought a two port Belkin OmniView kvm switch with audio support but only had one db male from my main monitor to device. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Excellent! The fact that I dont really have to connect to the KVM didn't cross my mind at all, and as per usual, once the solution is found, it's hard to think it could have been difficult. Thank you very much!

Thanks onoski, I'll keep that in mind when looking for the KVM!

Thanks for everyones help once again!

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad I can be of some help, cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

No problem.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present