Knowledgebase for work?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hailstorm, Jun 12, 2009.

1. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Hi,

Not sure if this is the ideal place to ask a question. In my previous job I set up a wiki on the company server as a knowledge base. For this I used mediawiki. I found it super useful for dumping any information that I might need for future reference. I also stuck on things such as checklists and procedures to help me not forget things.

I'd like to set up the same again for the current company I'm working for but this time its going to be used among a team of 9 or so people. I feel people would be put off from using it because of the syntax that mediawiki uses, although I like it myself. We do have word documents scattered about the place for procedures etc but its not the same as having something you can search across quickly.

Does anyone have anything easier to use I could host on a Windows server?

I've tried mindtouch deki but that seemed to be a complete pain to get working and setup. If I can't set something up then the chances of being able to maintain it over time are pretty low.

Thanks for any replies.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If it's more of a doc share or collaborative thing you want what about using something like Huddle ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

We use ScrewTurn Wiki

Easy enough to set up and very good!

Hope that helps.

Dom 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  4. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I can only go with self hosted. I work for government so they are a little paranoid where their data gets stored.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Couldn't you use your helpdesk/servicedesk software? Or doesn't it have that feature?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

One of the bits of software we use for helpdesk call logging is called Assyst, which enables you to have a knowledge base and run crystal reports. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Our helpdesk call logging software is pretty dire IMO. It's not web based. I'm setting this up to access in the field. The team I work in travel round supporting schools.

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Yeah unfortunately I don't really have any say in what helpdesk software we use. Spiceworks does indeed look great. It's a shame it doesn't include knowledgebase functionality just yet.

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

What software do they use?