Knowledge

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bootneck1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Hi guys, my interview has been pushed back to the end of the month, bad weather lol ?????
    Anyway least it gives me more time to prepare my self, i was just wondering how much research should i do on the company, i have already done some research but how much should i do as i have been told this can make or break people in interviews.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Depends on the company and the role advertised. If it was for a position of director i would expect you would need to know how much the company made down to the last penny last year. If it is for an entry level position, i would just find out what the company are about, where they are headed, mission statement, vision etc...

Then back it up with some facts such as how big their IT support is or how many users they support, technologies used etc... I only really delve in a little as most companies don't require too much research. For me it is about showing the company i am interested in what they are about and also earning a few brownie points over the other lazy candidates :p

I guess i have waffled but could have just said... not too much, not too little:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

It is at entry level, its a satalite technician. But is there a limit , i mean if i learnt to much would they just get bored, my interview is gonna last approx an hour, sorry for questions, im from a military back ground so all this is totally new to me, ive read the thread for interview preperation and there is some usefull advice.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You should do enough to show you are interested in the company and also that you have doen a bit more research than other candidates to make you stand out.

Bit vague I know but knowing too much isn't a bad thing even if you don't use it in the interview.

Obvioulsy check their website. Google them to see what else comes up - you may find details of sofdtware being used etc if they've ever been a case study. If they're a local company then maybe do a search on the website for the local paper to see if they've been mentioned.

etc etc

Good luck !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I should think knowing about what the company does and how they've been doing it would be a good idea. Try to find the thing that makes them different from other companies.

6. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

A friend of mine recently had the interview with the same company, and he gave me a few pointers , but they were mainly impressed with his knowledge of the company, and the project that they were working on reference to the job, and he got the job, also he was pretty worried if they started asking him technical questions,as he only just graduated and they did not to his relief, they was impressed with his knowledge and his military history. But i am gonna swat up on some of my notes and learn as much as i can on the company, i think it is best to say i would rather learn too much than to little, but i really want to nail this if i can cause the pay is great and also the benifits are too good to be true all for a junior position

7. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Been given a new date for the 26th of Febuary so have plenty of time to prepare my self so its more research.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

as the others have said learn as much as you can to look interested in the company, also try and find something you can ask them about, show that you have not only looked at the company but also thought about it a bit further.

Try and think of a question that is unlikely to be answered before they do. I.E dont just think I'll ask about their annual turnover or summint cause the interviewers are bound to say "We are the largest supplier of monkey madness stickers in the world and we have an annual turnover of......:eek:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing