Knowledge is power...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Verbal vomit on its way guys...

I was chatting with the IT tech at work, and reading through my Mike Meyers (bless 'im), pondering my career path (when I eventually get to CCNP level. I've mastered formatting hard drives now... :oops: )

What do you guys think on gaining a Cert when it is seemingly for the sake of gaining employment?

As I look around for jobs to apply for, there seems to be more and more openings for entry level programmers than entry level hardware techs, though I have left my CV with the local PC World repair department :rolleyes:

Now, I would learn a programming language, (or anything PC or language related) for the fun of learning it (it can't be much harder than Latin, surely) and my IT tech at work has already been giving me pointers and lessons. But how would it map on a CV/in an interview?

For example; "I'd like to develop in my career installing and troubleshooting networks, eventually gaining my CCDP and moving into design." - "well, that's nice Arroryn. So why do you want to be our C++ developer?"

(I'm not sure if any of this is making sense, but bear with me. I've been pondering this for ages and I need to get it off my chest)

The short and long is: would it be a good idea to learn it, or not? (from an employer's perspective). I've already sourced a local Uni that has a beginner's evening course I can take as a taster.

So. Let the hazing...err, I mean, constructive help commence. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all there is nothing wrong with formating HDDs! You just taught yourself a very valueable trick of trade! FORMAT! :biggrin

I think in todays IT world we need to have our certs before looking for jobs.. but it seems we always have to start from somewhere eg support (A+), prove yourself there... get your mcse lets say and find an admin job... as with the job hunting you just got to keep trying.. send out CVs again and again... follow up to see if they got it.. be a pest (not too much!) but just make sure they know you exist!

btw i found a great site for IT jobs in the UK apparently its the best one... CWJobs

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Arroryn, I personally think programming and technical engineering are two very different aspects of IT and you should focus on just one. IT engineers are being asked now to have some experience in programming in things like Java and VB but not to a level dedicated programmers do which is fine. Personally I think to be a good programmer you need a programmers logic and way of thinking. The lad at work who develops Domino doesn't know nothing about IT Engineering and I don't know anything about programming and thats the way it should be. Two seperate jobs and two different aspects of IT that shouldn't mix.

So my advice would be to go down the path of what your most interested in and stick to that and gear your training around it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks Sly, that's some good advice. I know in black and white, it sounds like common sense.

(my problem is I'm too damn nosy. I want to know how everything works. And why.)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is nothing wrong with having extra skills on your C.V especially if you apply for a job in a smaller company where there isn’t the resources to have an individual for each area of IT.

All the IT jobs I have worked in have been in “Technical Support” however in one job I ended up writing patches (C++) for some software products and also maintaining the company website. I also ended up writing a small application for the admin staff. I wouldn’t say I’m an out in out Software developer but sometimes you may have to turn your hand to other areas in IT if needed.

Don’t ask me to write any Java code though, arrrrrrrrrgh! :twisted:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I think that the fact that you're attempting to train yourself in your own time and off your own back does count for something; it definitely shows willing. However it will also depend on the interviewer's opinion - are they impressed by this or think, as you say, it's "seemingly for the sake of gaining employment" - they may be asking themselves if you have a genuine interest in IT. It can swing both ways methinks.

CWJobs are pretty good - they got me my helpdesk job & one of the developers at work also got his job through them.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was reading in Computer Weekly that .NET development skills were going to be the hot thing for 2006.
    Great.

It's a bit like saying to people 'well, if you want to earn good money, you really ought to be an astronaut.'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Arroryn, I suppose in many ways I'm a lot like yourself, in that I always want to know more, I think that it is always nice to have a good overview of a wide variety of subjects rather than an indepth understanding of a single one.

The Problem with IT though is that it is just such a wide field that it is impossible to learn everything.

Now, unlike you Arroryn, I am already employed in the industry, and (think) that I have built up the core skill sets that make up my job role, but there is always a need for more.

Ultimately though Arroryn my advise to you would be to focus on what you think that your core skills will be for the type of role that you are looking for, and once in that role develop further.

8)

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think that MUST have something to do with VS.net 2005 coming out? :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics