Kerala logs Microsoft out

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You can read the rest of this article from The Financial Express here.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

an interesting move but i dont know if its a good move. it probably is quite good from Linux's point of view but if all the children r taught linux i wonder if they will be familiar with windows environment and they might face difficulties later when they do come across microsoft products...having said that i'm not quite familiar with linux myself and have no idea how similar it is to windows :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's quite similar, except for some odd reason you don't click *start* to shut down the computer :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ffreeloader

Those kids will have a far better education in computing concepts than any kid raised to use Windows only. Windows dumbs things down. Linux opens up everything.

Which system is going to teach you more, the system that closes itself off, or the system that is completely open to exploration right down to the kernel?

This is why so many Windows users can't make the move to Linux. If they don't have a wizard they don't understand what to do and can't figure it out. They have been locked out of their own computers their entire life.

5. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hmm reading that i might try to familiarize myself with linux as well :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  6. ffreeloader

Good. The more people who use it the better. Just think about how little education would be possible if everything was closed source. This is why open source computing is the best thing that has ever happened to IT and to students. They can delve as deeply as they have the desire and ability go. And, they can do this on their own. They can experiment and make modifications to what ever they choose and see what happens.

Open source is the best thing for innovation and to pique interest in computers that any kid could ever have at his/her disposal as a kid. It leaves anything proprietary in the dust. Closed source sucks as an educational tool.