Keeping motivation and concentration

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jamin100, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I'm currently studying for the 70-680 and an up to chapter 5. I'm finding it hard to concentrate and keep motivated..

I have 3 young children so have to wait until they are in bed to get any decent studying in.

I have the books, I have the hardware, I have the software.... I don't have the motivation and find myself distracted easily.

I have until June / July to get this done as its part of my performance management at work....

WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Try doing it during your dinner break at work ?
    Try eliminating your commute or using your commute to study ?
    Try studying a bit on weekends ?
    Try nominating one night a week where you study and don't see the kids ?

3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I get 30 minuets for lunch and do about 20 then

I cycle to work so can't study whilst commuting

Can't really not see the kids as we've only got a small semi detached

WIP: 70-680
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Here you go, this is all the motivation I need THE LIFE OF LUXURY

Any time you need motivation look at the link.

You can do it, trust me, you know you can.

You only really need around 6 hours sleep a night, I too have three brats, they go to bed at 7pm and then the rest of the evening I am labbing/working until at least 1/2am.

When you cycle to work use that time to reflect on the previous nights study, go over the topics in your mind, through out the day talk about the topics to your colleagues or just to yourself.

Good luck and any time you feel your motivation wanting just PM me and I will send you another link :-)

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    jk2447, mackie and Chris F like this.
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

This made me laugh, thought it was guna be a gd motivational link.

I was studying loads in the lead up to getting my first IT job because in my old job I was home by 5pm. Since taking this job I haven't had much motivation to study because now I have to commute which involves 2 hours a day in total then by the time I get back home at 7ish then have dinner I just haven't got the motivation.

I just got myself a tablet last week and can now sit n watch tutorial videos for those 2 hours a day, so maybe this will get me back in the swing of things.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So take an hour and study and stay after work for an extra 30 minutes. Alternatively study after work at your desk for a hour, since its a work based goal your boss should be fairly supportive.

Yes but this also probably means you have a minimal commute and are getting good exercise during your commute, thereby saving you time at the gym. ;)

So don't study at home, study at work, study at the library, study at a friends, study when they are in bed. Be creative and make a lifestyle and an environment that supports study!

If you don't put yourself and your career first nobody else will, and everyday the people that do put their career first will slowly overtake you.

cisco lab rat likes this.
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

100%, This is not a game. either you suit up or stay at home. It's ok to slack a little (So I have been told) but you need to realise as DMarsh has pointed out, if you don't put your career first others will over take you. Career is everything, my kids can go to the shrink when they are older to deal with the fact that I was never around.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    mackie likes this.
  8. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

That's your motivation right there. What happens if you don't do it? Could it cost you your job?

My original motivation was "Do 3 exams and get paid £££££££" - so I did them.

My motivation now is to get a better job than the one I'm currently doing. To go external I need Server Manager, but then that may just play into my favor with my current employer too..

I have 2 sprogs. Study in work and after 8pm most nights. I do take a break between exams though, so that I don't burn out and lose motivation.

In fairness I did find the 70-680 a bit dry though

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  9. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Haha, way to go!

My work motivates me, or to be exact - my colleagues. Most of them have been in IT for 5,10 or more years and I know for a fact they will struggle to find work if made redundant. Have been unemployed for 4 months this year and don't want it to happen again.