Keeping Motivated

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BraderzTheDog, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hey peeps,

A little advice for an aspiring youngster if you could. I don't know about you guys but in studying I find it hard to become motivated and stick things out as it were. This may just be my nature that needs to be teemed with more commitment, however what ways do you find best of studying and committing?

I am probably the most un-organised person in the world however I have managed to achieve the A+ and MCITP (DST), so I have it in me but lack the motivation is starting to show. Any ideas for improving my study? What works for you?

Regards,
    Brad. :)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You just have to make yourself do it. Set yourself small manageable targets and increase these as the exam is closer.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I keep in mind what I want and where I want to get. If there's a job you're aiming for or a subject you want to master. I find the fact that I'm my own worst critic keeps me on my toes to be honest. I am constantly challenging myself and asking myself what is next.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

When you really want something... you usually find the motivations... Unfortunately what works for some might not work for you. I personally try and stay consistent because consistency helps with motivation.. For example, if you're studying for an exam and you go at it straight for 4-5 days and then stop for a day or two or three then it becomes harder to get back into it. If you just make yourself read, at least one topic that could take 20 min of your time, then at least when you will have the motivation to continue with the studies the day after. Another thing, if you're reading a big book, don't think of it like its going to take forever to finish it, just read one chapter at a time and before you know it, you'll be at the end of the book.

Motivation comes only from your mind, how badly you want something and what you're willing to do to get there. We all struggle with motivation sometimes, but no matter how tough it is, you have to stick to it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

When im studying i go by "Theprof"s theory, once ive got into it i make sure i atleast do a bit of reading or something every day just to keep me motivated and in the routine. Passed my Network+ 4 weeks ago and am just trying to start my 70-680 atm.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Simple, book the exam and put pressure on yourself.

I had 4 weeks to sit my 220-702, I didn't revise until 3 days before the exam. Yes, I was confident I knew the content - but the time scale definitely acts as a motivator.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  7. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with Boffy, having a timer countdown puts added pressure on you to study, in a good way I think. It seems to work for me at least anyway!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have always had the mentality that nothing comes easy, hence I have to set goals and work hard towards achieving them. This applies to every area of my work like and general outlook on life:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell