Keeping File Attributes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rostros22, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Keeping File Attributes

When you burn a CD the files automatically become read only.

Is there a way to burn files onto a CD but keep the attributes as the original setting?

The reason I am asking is that I have burned a copy of a nsf mail file onto a CD as an archive for a user, but when I come to open the archive it will not due to it being read only which is strange.

I know that the file won’t be able to be edited due to it being on a CD but I thought if the attribute was still set to write it might open.

Don’t really burn a lot of CD’s so not to sure.

Thanks

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ummm first of all it will only be read since its still on cd.. i dont think it can copy the write - when you cant write (doesnt make sense) if you copy the file to the HDD then change the attributes does it help? ( :oops: )

seems starange to me as well as to why you cant open.. did you close the session? what program did you use to burn the cd?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd go with what Zimbo says and try to copy the file off the CD to the HD before trying to do anything with it.

Other than that, I'm stumped! :blink

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What are you using to 'open' the archive? Some apps try and create a 'backup' image, which isn't going to happen on a CD!

To preserve file attributes (and other things, like very long names) on CD the best way is to 'wrap' it with an archiver. ZIP and RAR will do nicely - you don't have to use their compression as well. In the Unix world 'tar' or 'pax' are the norm.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Rostros22

I know what I am saying doesn’t really make sense! I just could not understand why I could not open the file as a read only.

Copying the file to the HDD doesn’t help as the idea was to have a copy of the mail file that can be transported etc.

The session was closed and the writing software used was sonic.

Didn’t think it could be done but was just asking. Got another method of doing it now anyway so its fine.

Thanks anyway

6. hbroomhall

Doing a search - it would appear that this is a Lotus Notes or similar thing. As I know nothing about that I can't make further suggestions.

Harry.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

This is a Lotus Mail File (.nsf) (I think)

When Lotus attempts to open the file, I assume that for some reason otus attempt to write back to the file, maybe changing a flag or simply adding information relating to the file being accessed. as the file is on a CD it can't be amended, as Zimbo suggests, if you copy the file to the HDD and change the attribute it will work without any problems, assuming you are using the correct .id file to access the archive.

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Rostros22

I know that nothing can be written to a CD after it has been burnt to and the session has been closed.

What I was trying to do (doesn't really matter now though) was open an archive of a mail file (.nsf) from the CD just for viewing purposes. For example the user is an accountant and there have been 'issues' and he wanted to backup his mail file to take with him as evidence of mail being sent.

The file would not open though and I was 100% that it could be done as I am sure I have done this sort of thing a long time ago.

Actually thinking about it the last time I did a backup of a mail file we were using Notes R5 and now we use Notes R7.

Need to test a few things now!

Edit: Sorry I don't think I really explained the problem in the first post.

The lotus notes mail file is located on the mail server as normal. What was asked was could a copy of the mail file be archived onto a CD that could be used as a piece of media evidence. Obviously if the file could not be viewed it would be useless.

I know that if I copied the file to a local HDD then changed the attributes there would be no problem.

Anyway as it happens the mail file that is in question is a couple of months old and was stuck onto a CD. What I forgot was that we upgraded the mail server from R5 to R7 over the new year break, and the mail file is still in the old format.

Copied the file to my HDD, converted it to and R7 database and then burnt a new CD. And now it can be viewed.

Good news is that the accountant has two copies now just in case the people he sends it to are on R5 still (they do use Lotus). Makes me look like I covered all the angles like a good technician!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Stuart

9. hbroomhall

Aha! A lot clearer now! In other words - the usual mess caused by incompatable versions! :biggrin

Glad you have it sorted now though!

Harry.

10. Rostros22

Exactly!

And lovely user knowledge as well!

The user started with "You made me this CD last week - or one of you did and it don't work anymore"

I should have turned to page 9 in the 'user' user manual and realised that last week can mean anything up to 2 years ago with an accountant!

Anyway it is all sorted, onto the next problem…

11. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

We bought a job lot of CDs for our users to archive their mails to and keep the mail servers a bit less overcrowded. We had exactly the same problem, Outlook wouldn't open them because they are read only. I don't think anyone spent any time trying to resolve the issue though, just told them to archive them onto a network drive.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  12. Rostros22

I haven't tried it with Outlook but I guess I have no need to seeing as we don't use it here! Now that the database is in the correct format the .nsf file can be read from the cd. Outlook must be one of those apps that tries to create a backup as described by Harry earlier in the thread.