keep the faith

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sparky1888, Nov 25, 2006.

1. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

a big HELLO to everyone !!!!
    i havent had time to post here for ages....and heres why....
    if you have a wee search for Cerco and AOL you will see that i had been on here moaning and complaining in one form or other,
    to be honest i felt i had good reason at the time.
    I like many people out there had been into home computing for years and often thought about a career in IT,although no certification to get me in the door so to speak.
    Late one night i saw an advert for Cerco IT Training and Recruitment......"fast track" this and "over 98% of students get offered a job" that.......like a rabbit caught in headlights i was!!!:speechles
    Next day saw about the course and had a pack sent out.....
    to cut a long one short a few months later i had sat the course and passed with a distinction(90%+)....
    SO...i thought a few job applications and i'll be on the bottom ladder in some big company and well on my way to a rewarding career>>>>>>>>>>>(sound of screeching tyres) NO!!

THREE (3) months later i still had no job despite applying for every entry level post i heard of/seen.
    There were quite a few phone calls down to Cerco asking what the bloody hell was going on.....as you can imagine, paying(well, taking out a ££££££ loan) £4000 for a course and i stay a kick in the pants away from the biggest city in Scotland.....
    I WAS NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!

:mad

it was not for the lack of effort on my part......
    i lost count of the jobs i applied for around the 180 mark....
    yeah you read right...180!

now here comes the light......

i saw a job advertised (there is a strange irony coming here!!)
    for a tech support role ......
    for non other than AOL lol!!!
    (if you aint read my rant about AOL do so!!)
    so with a straight face, i applied ....lo and behold i got the job!!!
    AT LAST.....a job in IT (ish).......ah but it gets better!!
    i had applied for a job within one of the biggest manufuacturers of pc's in Europe when i done my course.....and got a prompt knockback......but they kept my record on file.....yeah right i thought,it'll get lost at the back of some filling cabinet and that will be the last i will hear from them........
    HOW WRONG WAS I!?!?!?!?

10 weeks after starting with AOL i get an email inviting me to an open night at the companys headquarters in Glasgow,,,,,
    2 interviews later i am now a business tech support representative.........and so proud/happy/relieved.......

SO....if i have one piece of advice,one scrap of information to give to anyone banging at the door trying to get in to the industry....

DO NOT GIVE UP OR LOOSE FAITH IN YOUR OWN ABILITIES!!!
    IF IT HAPPENED FOR ME IT CAN HAPPEN FOR ANYONE!!
    KEEP APPLYING AND ALWAYS TRY TO CHASE UP A FEW DAYS LATER..........AND THE VERY BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL
    Mark :onthePC

Certifications: Cerco's CCSN A+ DCSE
    WIP: MCITP , N+
  2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Well done you! :cheers

I know how disheartening it can be sometimes keepng the faith but stories like these show there is light! Having recently just managed to get a post myself i know how good a feeling it is getting the all important first post so i would say to everybody out there....

NEVER GIVE UP!!

If you are really that keen you time will come eventually.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done :clap

Posts like these make CF rock even more!

You (and others on the forum, including myself) are living proof that determination, hard work and keeping your chin up can help you get that career you want and have worked so hard to get.

Good luck with your chosen career :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks for your post Mark. I feels good that someone who has tried for ages to get a job in IT has finally happy and was a member of CF.

Keep up the good work mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Well done mate, I too know the proud feeling of landing your first IT role although mine was internal with my exisiting company I got a Helpdesk role 4 weeks ago because of hard work, determination, self funded certification, some networking and a bit of luck. :beers2

A year after deciding on a career in IT I earn a very good salary, have plenty of scope to learn new skills, plenty of overtime available and I also have a posh company laptop to play around with at home too! :biggrin

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done Mark and thanks for posting this heart warming thread! 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. sparky1888

sparky1888 Byte Poster

thanks for the congrats n stuff......
    yeah,just thought it would be nice to let everyone know,
    especially since i had been let down to a certain degree by a certain training company!!
    and it kinda lets other guys who are out there looking for that first job know what it is realy like.......
    IT AINT EASY!!
    certforums :rocks :rocks and :rocks some more!!
    keep it real homies
    Mark:thumbleft

Certifications: Cerco's CCSN A+ DCSE
    WIP: MCITP , N+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Good job, bro! Enjoy, and always remember how it was getting to where you are, so you can recognize others and help them as well. Peace!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  10. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Superb. Well done.

I'm presently in a service desk role, pretty well paid (£18500) but really now want to get into system admin as I've been doing service desk incoming call based roles for 3 years. I've got the knowledge, I've got the experience of a lot of Server 2003 and Exchange stuff thanks to this job and have got a few quals and a few more to come (sitting 290 end Jan).

Think my New Year resolution will be get 290, get my CV out and perserver like yourself. I've had it out and about a few times on job sites but generally the recruiters call and offer rubbish (the 'Have you even read my CV?' rubbish) and the odd job I've applied for I've not heard anything back, so I pull my CV and decide to wait again, try in another 3 months. I see jobs I believe I can do, then start wondering 'What if I can't quite' so chicken out applying. Think the New Year shall bring a change of heart and a new determination.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT