Just who is at fault here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. Now I want to hear your hypothesis of how he will stay away from the office for the entire day..... This guy must work twice as hard at evading the rules as he works.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Easy fellows, I'd bet that certain Comcast support supervisors don't manage their field techs at all, and that's largely dependent on who's running what area. I'm sure some areas have great managers, and the field techs are probably pretty good as well. This stuff flows downhill, normally.

Unfortunately, around here, the Comcast techs that show up barely know their job. No uniform, not even a company van ... and he could barely speak english. Not a problem with me, but a necessary requirement for someone providing field support and communicating with customers. As for knowledge, this guy didn't even know what an HDMI connector was -- if you're a cable guy, you should really know things like this. Sure, Comcast may not have an effective training system in place, but while that is ridiculous, it can't be treated as an excuse. Obviously, this professionalism tells me a *lot* about the management skills of the local Comcast office.

If I relied on my previous employer to teach me about automotive technology, I'd barely get past doing service work. My skills were just that -- mine. I took pride in my work, and the knowledge that went along with it, and made great strides to keep up on everything. 95% of my job effectiveness was my own responsibility, although the 5% did aggravate me to no end.

That said, I feel sorry for this cable tech. After being in the service industry for so long, I know how frustrating it is to receive little-to-no support from above. On the flip side, I constantly created my own workarounds for the speedbumps I ran into, and it seems that this poor fellow was not motivated as such. Regardless, the soon-to-be snake .. errr.. lawyer had everything to do with this guy losing his job, all because of the lack of support in a support field. Pitiful, really, but it may actually be a blessing in disguise for the cable guy:

1. Maybe he should review his motivation and work habits, and try to contribute to making his job, as well as other techs, better

2. If nothing else, he can find a job with a company that properly support their techs in the field.

I dislike Comcast as well, and have been down (HSI) for several weeks before -- but I don't blame the cable tech for it. If anything, most of the time I think they turn the n00b admins loose on the border routers :dry This is an unfortunate occurance, and sooner or later the snake will be judged :twisted:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Fortch,

What you expounded on was my point. This entire situation is Comcast's fault. None, or very little of it anyway, can be placed on the tech himself. He is only doing what the company sets as working policy. They give him no decent support, no real structure to fit into, and yet blame him when things go south.

He is an average employee, not a self-starter or someone with a strong work ethic, but that's what company policies are designed to take care of. Policies aren't needed for the guys like yourself who take initiative, want to learn, work at learning, discipline themselves, and take great pride in their work.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The vast majority of techs that worked for me over the years did not come into the office on a regular basis. This is because they lived miles away from the office, the furthest one lived in Leeds (up north) and the office was in London. So there was no point in them coming in.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)