Problem Just upgraded my PC but it is crashing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Oct 11, 2009.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    I just upgraded my pc and it hasn't been all smooth.
    I have bought a 64GB SSD Crucial. I must say it is fast but I'm afraid that this technology is ready yet.
    After having everything installed I reboot the PC only to have the system booting from the Windows CD as if there was no OS. Once in the installation screen the SSD was there un-partitioned. I clicked install OS and format using NTFS. It goes through the whole formatting process and then it says that it was not possible to format the HDD. I switched the PC off. After having dinner, powered it up and this time it booted into the OS with no problem, weird.
    I have since, done a brand new OS installation (second time format). Everything is now installed but every now and again the PC just freezes with this static in the screen and noisy sounds on speakers. This has happened about 5 times now. Is my SSD the cause of this? It happened once when I was playing a blue ray movie on my TV. Every other time was when just using simple software as acronis true image home 2009.
    I shall have a video of this problem soon as it happens again and have it posted on youtube if this helps.
    I must say that I have the up to date drivers for graphics and everything else really.
    Has anyone has had this problem or similar?
    Cheers.

Forgot to mention the fact that even though I have 1333MHz DDR3 RAM it reports on boot only 1066 ganged. I went to BIOS settings but nothing there to change it or force it to 1333. This motherboard does supports up to 1333 with overclocking it. Anybody with the same problem or had this prob?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kinda drive is it mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Sparky

Try flashing the BIOS on the mobo to the latest version.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. albertc30

Sparky mate, sorry but I also have failled to mentioned that. It has been done mate.
    I just done another upgrade to ATI catalyst to version 9.9 as I have forgoten to do it when I done a second installation from scratch so lets see how it goes.
    But the memory being detected at 1066 when it should be 1333 was the first thing that made me upgrade my bios but still says 1066 engange.
    Cheers

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Am I missing something?

Which OS are we talking about? :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. albertc30

Yet again another great comment JonnyMX., forgot to mention that.
    I'm running XP Pro 32bit.

It just happened again. I was playing a blue ray disc.
    I might install my OS onto another HDD and see how it goes because my hunch is my SSD is the root of this problem.
    Anymore feedback is more then welcome.
    Thanks

7. Sparky

Is there any errors\warnings in the event logs?

8. albertc30

I have some errors mate and I think that they all relate to my onboard 4200 ati radeon. Here's file attached.

I just sorted the DDR3. I got to it. I have manually set it up to 7-7-7-20 with a 1.8v as manufacturer specifications. CPU-Z was showing them as 1.5V and something like 9-9-9-19, can't really remember as I did not make note of it.

Now I do have one question. On the memory frequency I had set it for 800MHz as it is what DDR3 is meant to be according to my online search and on boot I got 1600MHz so I have changed it to 667 and that give me what I wanted which was 1333MHz. Now CPU-Z reports my memory as maxim frequency of 533MHz, this is confusing.

Maybe after this tune up hopefully this annoying error will cease to happen but still I am looking at the SSD as the probable cause of this.

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. Sparky

The event log appears to be information only, any errors\warnings?

10. albertc30

No. That is prety much it mate.

I am still working on it and had it happend once today when I was whatching a blue ray movie.

11. albertc30

It hasn't crashe since, so for now it is holding up.
    Thanks everybody.