just thought i would share my geeky excitement.....

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by jonny7_2002, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I will apologise for my geeky excitement in advance...... :oops:

But...... A friend of mine has just dropped off a 6506 switch he had lying in his works server room unused!!!!!??? :biggrin

Currently waiting with excitement for work to finish so i can go home, plug it in to test it (without taking power out on the street :biggrin) and then get moving on my CCNP Switch studying as i have the exam booked for the 21st!!!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good times!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Don't let your wife see the power meter spinning when you turn it on.:biggrin

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
    csx and jonny7_2002 like this.
  4. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Got it home last night...... Put it in place (while pulling a muscle in my shoulder) ...... went to plug it in.... then.................................................. REALISED I HAD NO POWER LEAD!!!!!!! :cry:

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Only other geeks can revel in the excitement you feel at the moment :)
    My missus doesn't understand it!

Doh! On the lead!!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
    jonny7_2002 likes this.
  6. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Cable should arrive today.... gonna eat some electricity tonight!!!!!!!!!! moooohahahahaha :lol:

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I know the feeling as I just received and signed for my HP ProCurve Gigabyte 8 port switch bought off eBay:) it's just the way us tech heads are:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
    jonny7_2002 likes this.
  8. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Welcome to a world of pain!

What supervisor engine does it have installed? Does it have a an MSFC or PFC installed? CAT OS or IOS? I only ask has I was on a steep learning curve with one of those bad boys a couple of years ago. Those 16Amp power leads were a bummer too!

9. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

er........ next question....!!!???? 8)

I dont know to be honest, without the cable i didnt even know if it works! im just hoping it does!!

The cable has just arrived so will pop home at lunch and fire it up and will get supervisor model numbers and stuff to see what "under the bonnet"!

This is the biggest switch i have ever worked with so i am expecting (and Hoping) it will be a HUGE learning curve!! BUT if i get stuck at least i know who to come to now!!! :biggrin

Jon

10. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

er........ next question....!!!???? 8)

I dont know to be honest, without the cable i didnt even know if it works! im just hoping it does!!

The cable has just arrived so will pop home at lunch and fire it up and will get supervisor model numbers and stuff to see what "under the bonnet"!

This is the biggest switch i have ever worked with so i am expecting (and Hoping) it will be a HUGE learning curve!! BUT if i get stuck at least i know who to come to now!!! :biggrin

Jon

11. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

It has two MSFC's i believe (these are the supervisor modules? two dimms on top of each other on the board so its not MSFC2)

I cannot connect via console at the moment as i have a rubbish USB-Serial Converter which doesnt work with my laptop and my main PC has a HDD failure (will sort that one day!!!)!! going to run a 10 meter cable to my sons serial port on his machine tonight to check it out further!

I did plug in a patch lead and got wireshark on the go and i believe the CDP packets seemed to suggest it was CatOs so may need to upgrade to IOS aswell!! has anyone ever done this?

Jon

12. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

After a 9 hour crash course in catalyst 6000/6500's last night i managed to successfully get it up and running. The supervisors were running CatOS with the MSFC's running IOS and as my knowledge on CatOS is extremely thin i decided to convert both supervisor engines and both MSFC's into Native IOS! it took a while with all the TFTP'ing of the images to flash cards and stuff but its all up and running now, i even managed RPR+ redundancy mode and all the 96 fastethernet ports along with 10 Gb fiber links are showing! :biggrin

The only down side is i only have one power lead which means the system LED on the supervisors is always orange because it detects the 2nd psu (no power) as a minor alarm!!! So the front doesnt look as pretty as it should! :cry:

CatOs is not for the feight hearted and hybrid mode is even more confusing when first seeing one of these units but it was an interesting night of learning..... i just have to make sure i dont fall asleep at work after i finished up this morning at aroun 0300! :blink KNACKERED!!!

Jon

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    keconnect sparky likes this.