1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just starting out...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Tom.k1970, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Tom.k1970

Tom.k1970 New Member

I was made redundant from my job in manufacturing 6 months ago after 20yrs in the trade,so I decided to get into IT.
    I wanted to do self study because I read some horror stories about people paying 1000's to training companies etc,so I bought the mike mayers A+ and N+ books and got into watching the professer messer videos.
    After about 3months of studying a friend of mine said he knew a guy who had is own company in I.T and said he would have a word with him to see if he could give me a placement in his office and show me the ropes etc in the I.T world,I wouldn't be getting paid of course,anyway I've been with this guy about 3 weeks now and he is showing me everything to do with servers and he's had me setting up my own domain etc.
    I'm just wandering should I really carry on with my studying on top of what I'm learning at the moment,I'm thinking I may find it hard after spending all day trying to figure out tasks etc this guy is giving me??

WIP: C+
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Personally i would carry on and get some certs on your CV aswell as this will definetly help when you come to look for a paying job.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Definitely carry on studying

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

definatly keep working with him while studying. experience > everything. Also, when you learn something new or do a new task don't forget to update your CV with it

5. Tom.k1970

Tom.k1970 New Member

I've just seen a deal on Groupon for a Cisco and Microsoft training package with Career-match website for £150 saving £4000!!
    I'm tempted to buy it,but I'm a bit paranoid about these websites,they seem genuine enough,what do you guys think?

WIP: C+