Just speculating on new MS certs...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guy's

I was just speculating on the new MS certs. Unlike the "old" versions: MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, etc you kinda knew the "level" of them, with the new certs (on the support side) there are just 2 MCTS & MCITP, so... I'm guess (judging on the "new" MCDST cert), that this is how it'll go:

MCDST -> MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech (MCITP: Consumer Support Tech for home users)

MCSA -> MCITP: Enterprise Support Admin

MCSE -> MCITP: Enterprise Support Engineer

What are your thoughts on this?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Makes sense.

They really seem to be trying to split the market into a heirachy from home user to enterprise - and this is reflected in recent product releases.

Interestingly enough, Office looks like it is going to feature big time in certs with the 2007 launch. MOS is currently seen as a bit of a glorified typist, but the new certs are much more in line with MCPs - even the logos.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja

I bet MS is going to split the "Office" certs into two:

1. To continue with the User side (MOS) and

2. To start the technicial side:
    A. the techical/support side (eg: MCTS: Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 and the likes) and the:
    B. programming/developing side (MCTS: Office 2007 Client: Application Development and the likes)

I can see that IT is just going to get more and more complicated, it's not going to happen in a few years time, it's happening now :( Oh well, it's off to study...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Its just going to get so confusing... but hey look on the bright side i reckon it wont be till 2008 we start thinking about these new certs... i mean we dont even know when Longhorn Server is coming!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...it's coming sooner than you think, with Vista... 8) ...and Longhorn's just around the corner...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i guess you know something i dont! :biggrin how soon? :D

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Its due for release back end of 2007. 8)

Must take a look at the beta.......:rolleyes:

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

beta? :blink since when is there a beta?

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Since around July last year.

Technet my friend, Technet! :biggrin

10. Kitkatninja

Yep :) Beta 2 is currently out, Beta 3 is due out 1st quarter 2007 (around the Jan/Feb time), looking forward for the beta 3 release as this is when MS is going to release the Admins tools that will install (and work) on Vista (granted it's only going to be the beta verison of the admin pack for Longhorn, but it's got to be better than always having to load up remote desktop just to use AD User's & Computers)

-ken

11. BosonMichael

And to go with the previous replies of Longhorn's release date (after which, the exams will soon follow)... the Vista 70-620 exam should be out in January.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Kitkatninja

Yes, I believe that the 71-620 (the beta version of the exam) is going to end on the 21st of Dec, so the final version of the 70-620 should be out soon.

-Ken

13. BosonMichael

Beta for 71-620 ended a month ago. You're probably thinking of 71-621 or 71-622.

14. Kitkatninja

Must be the 71-622 then, as the 71-621 doesn't end until the 5th of Jan...