Just settling into my current role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loca1hero, Nov 4, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hey every1,
    Just thought I’d update you with my current situation, had my interview for my current part-time position [5 hrs per day] as helpdesk analyst last month, got the job and started from 19th Oct and now into third week of this.

Had training first week with the system the company uses, the structure, and the procedures, etc and I was obvious to ask if there was chance for progression and was told they have 1st line support were from you can move on to 2nd line(but I don’t see that happening for me for a long loooong long time) . Anyhow I was told I will only be dealing with basic calls first and then move on to more complex ones later. Had to listen to calls taken by other more experienced analysts for a couple of days :blink and what I gathered from that is: -- they deal with logging faults, chasing requests for user, show the user how to put in a request, resolve other issues and/or escalate calls to 2nd/3rd line, etc. or aleast what I thought they do :blink. So far its all good, what I can gather from this is that there’s not so much chance of progression. But for now I’m going to hang on to this I suppose and gain some experience and keep looking for jobs which offer a bit more of hands-on .. to do.

cheers :biggrin

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck mate... I was in the same position as you a few years back doing desktop support. There didn't seem to be any chance of me moving up so I felt like I wasn't going anywhere until one of the network admin's quit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks Theprof, I’m not sure that kind of opportunity comes along were I am, but you got lucky there I’d say. Thing is with this place they have their remote desktop team in the same building but their main 2nd/3rd line support teams are in London and abroad. So I’m not sure how far I can progress .. I’ll just have to keep my eye peeled.

And any more reply's from you guys are more then welcome :biggrin

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri