Just passed.. now what!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by thelongmile, Sep 8, 2008.

1. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

Ok, so about a week ago I took and passed my MCDST.

I was actually more nervous about the 271 test than the 272 test, yet I got higher marks on the 271.
    It wasn't a particularly hard exam, but now I'm in a dilemma.

First off, I've no commercial experience in IT whatsoever, so I'm desperatley looking to break into the IT. Unfortunatley even for the most basic roles at the moment, it seems there are alot of people that are requesting two years experience (and from speaking to some companies, it tends to be recruitment companies that either don't know what they are doing or trying to put off the hobbyists). It's a shame though, but, I have a few questions to anyone whos passed an MCDST exam.

First up, if you've gotten a job from this certification, what job? as in what is your title?
    Reason I am asking, is, all too often it seems to go beyond just desktop support, and everyone seems to have a different title. MCDST / Desktop Support / Analyst... what exactly is your title and what should I be looking at?

Secondly, How much of your MCDST training do you actually use in the 'real world'?
    I'm interested to know how much of it will be used, as I've heard some stories saying that, you wont use anything at all, or you will use all of it, have you found another training more usefull?

Thirdly, Where next?
    I've now gotten the MCDST, but where do I go from here. Clearly employment would be a good first step to start building experience, but what's hot right now for me to start pointing towards. What gains better employment opportunities? I know this is a heck of a question to answer, but to give you an idea, I like being able to interact with customers / clients, assist and support, but I also like to be able to push my own limits, and, be creative with solutions. I've considered network adminstration, but untill I get some experience, I just dont know.

Fourth, Is there anyone who was in the same situation as me?
    As in, no other qualifications other than the MCDST, no previous IT experience, but used the MCDST to get into the IT industry. If so, how did you find it? Did you wait long? Did you struggle to explain to would be employers what a Microsoft Certification was? or did you have to study for another cert before you found employment?

I know it's alot of questioning, but I would really appriciate the answers. I'm rather desperate to get into the IT industry, but quite frankly don't know how. I really look forward to seeing your thoughts and feelings on this, and hope I havn't gotten off on the wrong foot.

By the way, if your studying for an MCDST, don't be too worried about the tests. They are not spectacularly hard at all, and you can always retake! I know a heck of alot about computers and networks despite no prior experience, but I've gotten the MCDST to show that I actually have some knowledge in computing, not just "i like computers" etc etc. The exam cram books are good, but the practice tests have a few innacuracies, so don't rely to heavily on them. I used the video training by Bill Furgeson, and the 2 exam cram books, and the included practice tests. If I can do it, you can too!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

For me:

1. I was already working in IT, so that doesn't apply to me.

2. I do use what I've learnt on the MCDST at work, maybe not as much as I use to, but yes, the stuff learnt on MS courses (whether home study or class based) is useful.

3. I would recommend the A+ & Network+ next. Both of these give a very good basis on which to build your career on and further certifications on. I would not recommend doing anything higher until you get your foot in the door, simply because a lot of managers are now disregarding them if you do not have the experience to back them up. Plus I would also look for jobs in the local paper, the Jobcentre, etc and not just rely on agencies.

4. Sorry not in the same situation as you. However I got into IT with my NVQ2 in Software creation and my C&G's in Programming/Systems Support level 2, I was studying for my HNC at the time though.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

Many thanks for the comments.

I have heard that the A+ and network+ might be a good idea, so I'll definatley look into that. Though I must be honest, I'm quite eager to get out of my current role! :Llol

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Grats on the pass :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

thank you! :D

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The thing is you want to get out of your current role, the MCDST is aimed at people with the requisite experience, which you've admitted you don't have, so you would still have to do the A+ and Network+, if I were you I wouldn't put the MCDST on your CV until you have the requisite experience.

There are no shortcuts into IT, I have been trying to break into IT properly for several years, managed it with part time support role along with my normal duties at my last permanent job and that was over 2 years ago, since then I've had to take office job after office job to pay the bills, one day I'll catch a lucky break but you have to do things in the right order, I'm starting to realise that darting all over the place trying to find a way in isn't working so I'm having to sit down and try and formulate a plan for myself.

I have already done my A+, just not had the money for the exams yet, that will happen next year.

So you can see getting into IT in todays current climate is akin to climbing Mount Everest, lots of people try and only a few make it, but they keep trying year after year and eventually they will make it, I'm still stuck at base camp and climbing Mount Everest is full of pitfalls ups and downs, but I know I will get there, it just takes time. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Yea, it's all about getting that break and into it, I was fortunate enough that as soon as I left College this year (at 19) I walked into a 1st line support job the following Monday and am now training for my MCDST as well as learning about Servers to eventually I can take some of the latest MCSE courses.

For our younger members though I would recommend the Connexions website (The Brits here) as that occasionally has good entry level jobs for people leaving college etc which are usually modern apprenticeship type things that specifically target people who arn't the dogs bollocks.

Congrats mate, keep trying and do some phoning instead of looking online. You will get there eventually with a bit of persistance.

Although I noticed it depends a lot on where you live

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. thelongmile

thelongmile New Member

It does seem to depend very heavily on where you live. Cardiff has almost nothing, and never has over the last 2 years, but bristol usually seems to have something

Thing is my current job is, well, a call center, and its erm, not..... the right role for me, shall we say in case they choose to read this. I'm desperate to get out, so unfortunatley with regards to one of the previous posters I'll still be keeping that MCDST qualification on the CV. I'm just pushing to get out of the place now.

I'll definatley do the A+ and N+. Took one of the practice tests online... seems relativley easy, basic electronics etc for the A+, but it's another financial burdern I cant really afford right now. *sigh* I hope my time comes soon. I'm reduced to working a graveyard shift atm