Just Passed 70-270 XP Exam

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by mad_maxx, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Just to let you all know, I passed my 70-270 with a score of 936. I would have ideally like to have scored over 1,000, but am more than happy with 936, especially as I was unsure whether or not I was going to pass yesterday.

It took four weeks of study to bring my knowledge up to the level I'm at now. My Study method was as follows ;

1. Watch through CBT Nuggets to gain an understanding of the topics (Weeks 1&2)
    2. Read through the Sybex Book, performing the mini-tests at the end of each chapter (week3/4)
    3. Did some Transcender Tests - was scoring circa 80%(Week 4)
    4. Used Testout training package and ExamCram2 book to improve my knowledge on weaker areas (day before test)
    5. Did another Transcender last night - scored 82% (night before test)
    6. Took the exam this morning and passed with 936.

I'm booking my 70-290 immediately. I'm going to allow myself six weeks for this one. I'm going to try using the MS Press book instead of Sybex and try and avoid having to purchase as many learning aids.

Time will tell.

If anyone about to take this test has any questions in terms of good materials to learn from - feel free to ask.

Thanks to all of you for the help and support offered on this board.

Regards

MaX

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Well done on the pass, good score. I take it you have experience with server 2k3.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

I have experience of basic 2k3 admin/troubleshooting through work, and have also spent a lot of time at home getting things like DNS, DHCP, RIS etc working in a virtualised environment.

Looking forward to learning lots of new concepts and skills :)

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Congratulations! I hope to get 70-270 under my belt in about a months time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Cool good luck with the 290. I'm half way through at the mo, not finding it to difficult.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Congratulations and well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Indeed - well done. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass Max :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Johnyb

Johnyb New Member

Congrats... Just found this forum and just about to book my exam so have some questions for you..
    I don't work in this industry but was an IT manager some 10 years ago and would now like to get back into it. So learning consists of building test systems in VM (via proxmox) to test some of the theory, reading MS 70-270 study guide (cover to cover), using trancender (got 93% and failed?), etc...

So the questions:-
    (1) I setup a RIS server but now can only download WDS. I know this is taking RIS a step forward but will there be any questions on WDS or only RIS?
    (2) Default share & NTFS permission changed when XP Sp1 was introduced. So for the exam do I assume the relate to SP1 and above? (ie Share= Everyone/ Read, NTFS = Users / Read & Execute, List Folder contents, Read, Special Perm – Create files / write data, create folders / append data ) Or do MS try to trip us up in this area?
    (3) VPNs / Remote access - I have trouble here since not much info in the MS study guide, anywhere to find more info on this subject? Are there many questions in the exam?
    (4) Removable Media - I don't have a take drive, so any way to simulate this so I can understand media pool, etc?
    (5) MS Press coverage - I noticed some of the test questions are not covered in the book, thing like knowing the 'host header name' in IIS, GPO stuff... I have built a test WS2003 VM but dont know how far I need to understand GPO configuration before sitting the XP exam? Any ideas?
    (6) Roughly how many questions are there, whats an aprox pass mark?
    (7) You mention you got 934, whats it out of?

Sorry for all the question but i would be really grateful for any help, since was planing to revise more, conduct some more test labs, and sit a couple more mock tests before doing it next week....

14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

congrats dude. took d exam last 2 wks passed wit a score of 850 used sybex mat and also testking. took 290 last wk wed and scored 980. will b taking 291 nxt wk. all d best

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We don't like Braindumpers, stop using braindumps they can get you decertified because it's cheating.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Johnyb

Johnyb New Member

Hey guys, just thought i would let you know i passed with 984 yesterday, but still dont really need answers to these questions now...

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A little late, but congrats on passing Johny.

The default pass score on Transcender is 100% which is why you failed with a good score like 83% :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow... back when I worked there, I believe the default passing score was, like, 80%. :blink Which, to be honest, I never agreed with... nor do I agree with 100%.

Things have certainly changed, that's for sure! 8) :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!