Just out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by metrock 66, May 30, 2008.

1. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Like i say just out of curiosity e-mailed this company about a+ training (not going through a company).Old pc and a good book i think is the way, how can they getaway with such prices:ohmy this is the most i have seen it advertized in birmingham

Standard cost is £2295 + vat for 10 days training, this includes courseware for two courses but not exams. This would cover you’re a+ training and also leave a balance of 2/3 days to utilise on other training as required.

Exams for Comptia are £130 + vat each and you would also have access to our exam prep and testing system in the MLC. Exams can be pre paid or booked and paid for at time of booking.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

IT training is one of those areas where one or two companies provide good training, but the other x-hundred are out to take advantage and rip off people who don't know any better. It’s mainly on entry level certs, after you gain a few you see how the charges they make don’t match up to the actual cost of gaining the certification.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

For doing the A+ it's a total ripoff and plays on peoples hopes of walking into a £30k job which isn't going to happen.

Your doing the right thing in going down the self study route. By a cheap PC to rip apart and mess around with. From memory buy the Sybex A+ and Mike Myers A+ books which where always considered the best and buy a couple of A+ test vouchers. With the rest of the money you would of spent on the training course go on holiday with it to somewhere nice or spend it on hookers...:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

THe two A+ exams are £111+vat which is 133 each if you pay pearson vue directly or you can buy international vouchers from www.gractechsolutions.com and you pay £107 per A+ exam with no VAT to pay.You just enter the voucher code as payment on pearsonvue website.

Yes those are the two best books, Tripwire45s book (PC technician street smarts is ace)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. NightWalker

As GBL said, those are the books. Think about getting a cheap PC from ebay that you can take apart and mess about with, hands on learning along side the books will help loads.

7. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Yeah thanks guys.. got my head sorted as to what to and in what order now (tis a bit of a mine field out there). And just read tripwires guide to self study very very informative :D

8. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

I am in a similar position after looking at the cost which training providers want. Now I will go down the self study route with the two books recommended and a PC to strip down.

A few years ago I did a web design course with one of the so called well known and nationally advertised training providers which proved to be a rip off for the money as you cannot see the exact course content before you sign up. Would have been better of with just purchasing the software and a good book.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Def the way to go good luck with ya A+ videoman.

10. greenbrucelee

Enquire at your local recycling centre for PCs too, I got mine + the two books from Amazon for £80 then I had to buy Trips book again because my dog decided to eat the first few chapters :D

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats because they are the tastiest ones ! :biggrin

12. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

I am picking up an old pc tomorrow from a mate who works in I.T in the local college really looking forward to it

13. NightWalker

Cool, I love getting a new old PC. 8) Get the side off and have a look inside!
    I got my first old PC with monitor keyboard and mouse for £70 a few years back when I did my A+. Still got it, still use it as a test lab PC. At the moment its a domain controller, DNS server and Exchange backend server.

14. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

And now i am completley lost :blink....lol, about your last sentance

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Among other things, they have to pay the instructor's salary. We don't work for free, man! :)

That said, I agree that you don't need a training course. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

How much did you have to pay for a PC from a Recycling centre GBL? Do you reckon they'd have old servers as well? I need to find one for the next part of my self study masterplan..... :twisted:

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  17. greenbrucelee

It was £60 for the PC, it needed XP SP2 installed on it as it only had SP1, the monitor was as heavy as hell and the mouse needed the ball cleaning apart from only having the recommended specs for XP and needing the registry cleaned up a bit it works fine.

I have it networked to my main PC which has my virtual network on it :blink:D

18. NightWalker

You can use any PC as a server. It's all down to the OS you install. I have two old PCs as my test lab, a Pentium 3 600Mhz Compaq Deskpro and an ancient Pentium 2 400Mhz thing (probably from the mid 90s). They wont do for games, but they run Server 2003 and do the trick nicely for messing about with.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as there are compatible drivers, you sure can! :) Good info for those who don't know.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. NightWalker

True, drivers can be an issue. Drivers for Win 2000/XP/Server 2003 are fairly interchangeable. I have used Win 2000 Server network drivers on a Server 2003 box a couple of times before with success.