Just my luck...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IThurts, Apr 21, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

So as i said earlier the guys who built my pc said they would send me another HDD free in the post...and for me to return the faulty one.

I gets home after and find the spinrite scan has completed..

I goto perform procedures as per usual to check if i get the disk error msg (the same procedures iv always been using as it always reliably gives me the disk error id 7 msg:dry) and i get no disk error msg!

in case your wondering i simply do an error check with the c: tools and im assuming as this makes the drive "work" that the errors if any would appear at this point...and the errors normally do come at this point...but they are not showing anymore!!!

I think the spinrite scan and repair fixed something.:rolleyes:

The reason i am not overly pleased is i now have a new drive coming 2mw and this friggn drive is not giving me any errors anymore.Furthermore, i have to return the old drive if im accepting the new one!!

Most of you will say.."who cares..just replace it...you cant loose"..but knowing my luck...i can. As iv never done the re-installation of a new drive and restoring a image backup on a new drive b4...and im just hoping it doesnt mess up.
    Ill give it a couple of days and see how my errors pan out (if any), and if need be, will just BUY the new drive off the company and keep as spare. I have around a week to send the old drive back anyway.

Just thought id share and would like to know the general opinion..

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not try the trial version of Acronis? You can make a full image of the PC to an external hard drive, replace the drive and then boot from CD. After that you can browse to image and it will restore everything.

If anything goes wrong you can always put the original drive back in and try again. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea i think that is what i have come up with too..cheers sparko.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig