just joined need some advice!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sawyer, Feb 6, 2009.

1. sawyer

sawyer New Member

hi everyone just joined and need some advice

im a telecoms engineer working for a well known company and have been for the last 5 years. But i really want to get into the IT sector but dnt know where to start. Should i be applying for jobs or looking to do some qualifications or both. Was thinkin about doing the CCNA level 1 or should i start with CompTIA A+.The idea is to get a relevent job ASAP. Any advice would be much apreciated.

2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Normally the advice would be to start studying for the A+ and then perhaps move on to N+ and then something like the MCDST afterwards. Not sure what your IT skill level is though. If you are new to IT then that is the way to go.

I would apply for entry level support roles straight away as they sometimes require little or no experience. Your other work experience may stand you in good stead during interviews.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

A telecoms engineer isn't IT? :) Or is it that you are a lineman and have had enough of the bad weather? :biggrin

More seriously - if your company is who I suspect, then you should be able to move sideways into something you prefer. There should be a placement service available to you, and you would normally get preference over outsiders.

I'd look into such a move *first* and use what you learn there to supplement your taking of things like A+.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA