Just joined - hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by KarenS, Oct 5, 2005.

1. KarenS

KarenS New Member

I've signed up today because I'm looking for some advice on training. I run a website, but haven't got any developer skills myself. I want to do some training so I can start to do at least some simple things myself without having to bother the original developers all the time. I need to learn about MySQL, PHP and JavaScript. I've read the various threads on Computeach and other providers and distance learning doesn't get a very big thumbs up, to say the least! Anyone recommend any books or any taught courses local to Oxford? Thanks.

2. Missy

Missy Byte Poster

Welcome KarenS to CF....
    You will get lots of help on here...
    Take Care Missy

Certifications: 15 credits NOCN Art and Design,Portrait.
    WIP: NOCN in Art and Design Advanced
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there, welcome to CF! :biggrin

Have you tried looking at your local college to see what they offer in terms of training?
    One Distance Learning place that does get a lot of respect around here is the Open University. Have you tried seeing what courses they offer?

8)

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Karen,

Welcome. Glad you found us. There is lots of support/answers for most IT related things out on the web and of course here.
    If you want to look for books on the subjects you desire to learn about take a trip over to Amazon ,they have loads of reviews and you can get a great book(s) at a fraction of the cost of a course if you want to do things that way.
    Best of luck :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi. If you know nothing at all, you can get some intro lessons at this link on PHP and MySQL (clickable link).

You can find a list of the IT related courses offered at the following two links:

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/campus.jsp?campusId=10001&hplcpsession=c9fbb99f1db5cb6f2381f0095e8f

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/campus.jsp?campusId=10066&hplcpsession=c9fbb99f1db5cb6f2381f0095e8f

Nothing is too in depth, but they will get you started. Incidently, in one of the links, you'll see a lesson called Servers 101. I wrote that one over a year ago. :tongue

BTW...Greetings and welcome to CertForums. Hope you like the place. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi karens. welcome to the forums and i hope you find what you're after here! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello KarenS! Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. pete1974

pete1974 New Member

Hi I have just started 70 229 SQL Server, Im finding it tough but you can download an ebook from the microsoft website which tells you everything. Its about 35MB so you need to be on broadband but like i said its really cool and you will learn everything you need from there.

Have fun Pete