Just IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by arj7, Jan 28, 2010.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

I enquired about this company however they are a bit sketchy on price and they "guarantee" a job on completion of a course.
    Has anyone used this company? Are they good?
    Thanks

2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

wouldnt suprise me if you received any info on advent training lettered paper.

Give more info on what you are looking to do and more than enough people will give advice and you can go from there. As this website is dedicated to giving people the best advice for their needs and can usually backup their advice with example why they think it.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I wonder what magical jobs a student would be offered? Selling their courses perhaps? :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

cheers for that.
    Well basically i have discussed this on another area of the forum i have a masters and am debating whether to get a ccna.
    However some people on the forums have been saying that getting something like this without experience could hamper myself when im applying for a job.
    Ive been applying for jobs not been having much luck like others, so im wondering if i should get some sort of qualification as well.
    If i do there are a plethora of companies offering IT training so that is a minefield in itself!

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Arj, read the last two years worth of posts about TP's in general, read about MIS/Skillstrain, Frazier Mckenzie, UKIT, and now Advent.

I will not comment on JustIT, but I will comment on practice that seems common in the industry :-

Theres a lot of people who feel they were mis-sold or got less than what they paid for.

Theres people that got poor materials, poor tuition, poor support, obstructed from course progression, rationed labs or tutorials.

Theres people who lost all or part of their fees yet received virtually no tuition due to companies going bankrupt.

There are people given unrealistic salary expectations, told they are suitable for the career when they are proabably not, put on advanced courses when they are a beginner.

There are people promised jobs, which in any climate would be impossible to guarantee, let alone this climate.

If you wanna spend money on some unproven scheme, thats your choice, but don't come back here crying in two years time saying 'How could I have known?'...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Fair enough, thanks for the advice i guess when your job hunting your desperate to get a job and this seems like a good option on paper but when you delve a little deeper and hear these horror stories it makes you realise

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You did the right thing going to college, there you had government protections.

Your degree should make self study a cinch, otherwise look at tech colleges and the OU. Normally you can take CCNA modules for like £500 and theres a few modues. It should not cost more than £2000 tops. Some places like OU might be cheaper, it looks like the OU is around £800.

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi,

I hope you took my humour the way intended.

Jobs are hard to come by at the moment - some would say the hardest in their career to date.

I am of the opinion of gaining as much knowledge and experience as possible. I understand why people say it can hamper - the danger is pretending to be something you are not - always a bad idea.

If you have industry certifications without experience then tell the person interviewing how you feel. If you have gained certification from your own hard work is it really a bad thing? It shows you are willing to learn and enjoy the subject - something people already in a role you want may not be!

Knowledge, certification and job experience all go together and this is why companies offering it in a "basket" are so appealing.

Don't forget that an I.T role is not like a plumber that works hard all day whereby the job rarely changes. I.T is a constant learning cycle and many would agree to get as many learning methods in as possible. Just do your homework before spending any money.

I have just signed up for an online CCNA course after attending several sessions for free. I can see "it really is what it says on the tin" so didn't hesitate on paying for it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Where you have signed up for i was in contact with them around a week or so ago and am still considering whether to do it, but if something does progress with my situation i will let you know what happens

10. one

one New Member

Hi mate, my 1st post so hope its in th right place etc. I went to speak to one of justIT's members not so long ago. I myself am a non IT graduate, but considering moving into IT. I was induced by their job/money back guarantee promise. But when I actually talked to them, and btw they were quite forthright, upfront and helpful, it turns out the money back guarantee only applies upon successful completion of some very tough exams over an 18 month period of which most of it is self studying. This contradicts the impression given on their website. Which led me to believe you pay the money, classroom training for 8wks, further 8wks of placement, then a money back guarantee if the company you're placed with does not offer you a permanent job. Not the case!

On a sidenote Im wondering if it is as easy as the training providers make out to get a 1st line support job, paying around 15-17K after 8weeks of training? Perhaps if there are anyone working in IT they can tell me if two months of full time training is enough to land a 15K support role? I thought IT graduates start of on 1st line - so what chance does someone with only 8wks of training got? Or maybe thats not the case. In other words, can a person with only 2months of IT training get a job in IT that pays 15K? Can a person with only two months of training get any job in IT. You would not be able to in any other profession!