Just installed VMware

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by arvy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. arvy

arvy Bit Poster

:rocks Just would like to say a BIG thankyou to you all for bringing VMware to my attention. Workstation 4.5 rocks.
    What a great tool for study, have allready loaded 5 virtual machines, all networked and working fine. A+ , MCSE !!!
    I'm ready for ya !!!.

Certifications: compTIA A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's only the start arvy. Congrats.

I don't know if you just run it in demo/trial mode at the moment, but version 5 is soon to be out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm currently using VMWare Beta 5 RC2. It really rocks. Just remember that for the hardware portion of the A+. VMware won't be of any particular help. You have to get your hands dirty inside a "real" box for that one. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

sorry lads but whats the specs to run lets say: 2 windows server,and 2 desktops on vmware ? I am asking this as I would like to use my laptop and dont really know if thething can handle it.

I know I am being lazy, its midnight and cannot be bothered to go and have a look at VMware website .

cheers

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, the most critical favor here is RAM. A guest OS uses the the amount of RAM you configure it to use. If you configure it to use 256 MB, then it will use that much *on the host machine*. That means if your host machine has 512 MB of RAM on board, 256 will be used by the guest and 256 will be used by the host. For obvious reasons, you have to allow some RAM for the host to function.

If you want two guest workstations and two guest servers to run *at the same time*, you will need enough RAM onboard the host to accomodate the 4 guests plus your host machine. Let's say a total of a gig and a half just to be safe. Too little onboard RAM and you start paging. If you try to run too many machines with too little RAM, it's just the same as if you are trying to run too many application with too little RAM; your performance turns to mud and eventually you could lock up your system.

Not even 7 p.m. here so my mind is still fairly clear, Offside. Just wait a few hours, tho. I'll be getting fairly sleepy. :tongue

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

If you had a gig of ram in that lappy it would work mate :)
    also consider if you would need all 4 active at all times, if not leave the ones you dont need in suspend mode, and things will be much smoother on less ram

the only downside of laptops is thier rotation speed, it cuts read/writes down a fair bit, and thus inpacts performance severly if you start to use swap

Trip, it gets pretty hard to find a gig and a half for a laptop, 1GB SODIMMS dont come cheap :(

if you tweak the memory usage from default
    128 per server
    64 per workstation (or 128 if you must)

your stil llooking at only 512mb usage by the guest OS, leaving you 512 for your laptop to use, so your safe there

good job arvy, hope your finding it alot of use, if you bought it you should be eligable for the free upgrade to 5.0 when its released :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

thanks for the info lads I think I'll stick with with my little lab for the mo:oops:

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Was speaking theoretically, Ryan. Actually, I may have to amend my prior statement. I have three VMs running at the same time, each with between 256 and 386 MB of RAM on a host running 1.25 GB and no reduction in performance at all. I'm revamping my virtual lab(s) so we'll see how far I can push it. :)

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hehe fair do's mate, I often speak theoretically myself :D
    a gig of ram for a lappy isnt that expensive these days, maybe 150 quid
    2gb is a tad higher! hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0